• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help GALAXY J3 2016

ANDYBAZ

Lurker
Jan 11, 2017
Hi all, im looking for some help, i am trying to stop my J3 from updating software., any one know of any setting screen i need to be looking at, i have looked at seperate items on phone gone to settings and tried to stop as they load to phone etc, but i wish to stop all updates, as it currently eats into my internet allowance, so no internet usage for a month untill it renews etc.........

Either that or sell the phone on ........

thank you for the reply, will look at this later this evening, its a brand its a brand new phone, and i dont want if updating goolge/address book/ etc etc the phone is ook as it is, but if continually it searches the internet as soon as it it turned on, then it will have to go, it drained my internet package the first night of purchase, so eager to see when it renews jan 27th how long my internet useage is present.
I dont do games or video or facebook on the phone, just text an calls. But thank you for your comments.

Upvote 0
Ok, remember you can always keep "Mobile Data" disabled. Samsung Galaxy J3 (2016) come with Android 5.1.1, so you can slide your finger from the top edge to the center of the screen and open the Android shortcuts. Be sure that "Mobile Data" it's not enabled. Doing that, your phone it's not going to use any kind of internet package from your operator. This is very useful when you are in any place that have WiFi, so you use that and not the "Mobile Data".
If you are in the street and need to use the "Mobile Data" enable it and remember disable it later.

Reactions: Hadron
Upvote 0
thank you for that info, have just found the MOBILE DATA in the data usage setting and is greyed out saying modile data is turned off, but this morning phone said 15updates pending and 2 updated, these show in a grey tool bar on my lock screen, but when i click on them i am trying to see what app etc they are, if i could see the 2 that were updated then i could then go to that app etc and turn off, then over time they should all be turned off, will hve to take a screen shot an upload next time it shows the messages about updates, its prob just me, new to modern iphone & touch screen .....

Upvote 0
Do not worry, if you turn off mobile data and change "Google Playstore" settings, as I said in my first post, your Internet package will be safe. Those 2 apps were probably updated via WiFi (yours or another WiFi without password in the area).
You can always check your credit / internet package to be sure.

If you open "Google Playstore", go to the Menu and select the "My Apps and Games" option. There you can see which applications was updated.

There is a time of adaptation when using any new technology, so there is no shame in asking any question. ;)

Reactions: Hadron and Jfalls63
Upvote 0
Depends what app you are looking at. Pre-installed apps cannot be moved, but they also live in a different partition from your apps. So if you are looking mainly at pre-installed stuff that is the problem.

As for downloaded apps, it is up to the developer whether they allow moving or not. Especially since not all phones have this feature (it was officially deprecated in Android 4.0) I can imagine a fair number do not.

Without knowing which apps you have looked at I can't say more.

Upvote 0
Better asking that last question in the application development area.

For the rest, are you looking at downloaded apps only? Anything pre-installed cannot be moved - I'm repeating this because most Google apps will be pre-installed. As for the rest, if even one app has it not greyed-out then there is no problem with your phone, it's just that those app developers have chosen not to support that option. I'm not at all surprised by banking apps (anything that may seem less secure they will avoid).

Upvote 0
No, that's not the case. Some will be the manufacturer's apps, others will be regular apps that the manufacturer or carrier decided to include in the ROM. Both types may receive updates through the Play Store. Samsung may choose not to update all of their apps that way, but some certainly are updated through the Play Store. Other apps get updated whenever the developer issues an update, and that's nothing to do with Samsung (the update then does go into the /data partition with your own apps, but I think you still won't be able to move them. The ROM will still include the original version, just the update version will be used instead).

I'm afraid I don't understand what you are saying with "only installable upgrade on the particular device which is subject to reset anytime the apps hang?".

Upvote 0
That's surely no different from any other apps, in that any could potentially have a bad update. The difference is that if the update is part of a system update then it's been tested on your device, while a regular app update probably hasn't. But I've never in 7 years had an app update so unstable that I've been forced to uninstall the update, never mind one that required a reset.

And if you have a problem with a system update that a reset fixed then the problem wasn't that the update was unstable because a reset doesn't remove the update. The problem would have to be a clash between your existing data (which are removed by the reset) and something in the update.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones