• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

It's official

Hadron

Spacecorp test pilot
Aug 9, 2010
Dimension Jumping
No real surprises after all the leaks, but it's now official: http://www.lg.com/uk/mobile-phones/lg-H870-black.

Confirmed: 3,300 mAh battery, Google Assistant, and of course the display. s821 as expected, also IP68.

Negatives are a glass back and that some of the features are only available in certain markets: 64GB version seems to be only for some Asian markets, wireless charging only for the USA, and the quad-DAC audio system apparently only in some markets (source. I've also checked the specs on the LG UK site and they show 32GB eMMC - yes, not UFS - and no mention of the audio DAC).

I admit that if the UK doesn't get the high-end audio then they have probably lost me, especially if we also don't get any storage boost over last year's models. There still seems a lot to like about it, and I'll still want to take a look, but if they are going to economise on what was a key feature for me then I can go elsewhere.

Yup. I'm not sure how these companies do their market research, but it's not the first time we've seen a major manufacturer inexplicably decide that particular markets don't want certain features: Samsung deciding that the UK wouldn't be interested in the Note 5 at all is probably the standout example, but the idea that Europeans are happy with smaller storage options is one I've seen from different manufacturers over the years. Maybe most people don't care so much about audio quality (the headphone choices I see each day tell me that many do not ;)), but I don't really believe that S. Koreans have a substantially larger audiophile population than other countries.

Reactions: andMego
Upvote 0
I've been wondering about what might replace my venerable old Nexus 6 when the time comes and this looks like it could be a contender.

I like the looks of this too, and I hate to admit it, but the S8 looks pretty nice too, it's sad that Samsung has to muck everything up with their dang UI. Were it not for my marriage to Project Fi I might hop in the G6 as well. I see why you're interested @lunatic59 seems we have similar taste.

Reactions: lunatic59
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones