• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Move apps

WaggaSteve

Lurker
May 10, 2015
Just bought second hand S5 and it updated itself to android 6.0.1 as soon as I turned it on. Good I thought.
Inserted my 128 gig SD card,formatted it so I could move data hungry apps eg maps.me and Kindle. Can't find move apps option. Download app mover all looks good as each app gradually moved but it lied to and hadn't actually moved them. Is moving apps no longer possible or is there an app I can use. Should I downgrade to 4,reinstall, move apps then upgrade .Any help appreciated

The manufacturer decides what features are in the phone software. Google removed the old style "move to sd" in 4.0 but many manufacturers put it back(*). Conversely some do not support the Android 6 "format sd as internal storage".

My understanding is that if you format the card as internal then that is how it will be used. What control you have over what is put where I don't know; I've not used this feature and don't want to. But if you don't have the old style "move to sd" feature then I don't think that reverting to a version that has then updating to a version that hasn't will work. And you'd need to reformat the sd card if it is set to internal as an older OS version won't be able to use it.

But maybe to make sure we are talking about the same thing: do you mean that you have formatted the card as internal? How are you checking where apps are being stored? Just want to be sure I'm not misunderstanding you and you aren't misunderstanding the phone.

Also I'm not sure the old "move to sd" button would make sense if the card is set as internal. Not having used a S5 with Marshmallow I don't know whether it would be there if the card was set as external (I'm actually surprised if the S5 can use the card as internal - I remember Samsung explaining why they hadn't included that in their first Marshmallow builds).

(*) it was embarrassing for Samsung, who kept answering people's complaints that the 16GB S4 had so little storage free with "move apps to sd" despite the phone not having the option. It got added back after the mainstream media picked up on this.

Upvote 0
so.... moving apps to SD card is or is not an option anymore? my s5 is 6.0.1, and the move button appears to be gone. i thought there might be a way to get it back but this sounds like "no", altho i can't tell if i am reading a definitive no, so is there stuff i can try before giving up completely?

Upvote 0
Once version 6.0.1 of Marshmallow is downloaded, you no longer have the capability of moving your APPS to your SD card. My apps used to be on my SD card until the "upgrade" came along. After the upgrade, I was surprised to find all my apps back in the internal memory. The best you can do is use file manager to move all your data, photos, documents, etc to your SD card. This will free up some space but moving apps is no longer an option. I really wish a developer or Marshmallow would write a patch to re-enable this option. It's a sneaky way to get folks to upgrade to S6 or S7. Bad form Samsung! Bad form.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones