• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Nougat on Droid Turbo 2

The single biggest impact for me is the ability to display two apps on the screen at the same time. Here is the Android Forums app running with the RealCalc app ...

1.jpg or 2.jpg

What are your thoughts?

... Thom

Last edited:
Settings have changed ...

6.0.1 had Settings/Sound & Notifications/Advanced/Notification Access to permit turning off the vibration in Do Not Disturb.

7.0 has Settings/Sound and Settings/Notifications and neither has /Advanced/Notification Access

7.0 has Settings/Apps/cog wheel/Special Access/Notification access. There you can enable the app.

... Thom

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Settings have changed ...

6.0.1 had Settings/Sound & Notifications/Advanced/Notification Access to permit turning off the vibration in Do Not Disturb.

7.0 has Settings/Sound and Settings/Notifications and neither has /Advanced/Notification Access

7.0 has Settings/Apps/cog wheel/Special Access/Notification access. There you can enable the app.

... Thom
And a big deal for Verizon customers: there's now a "BLOCK CALLS" setting in Settings. So now we can have more than 5 numbers blocked and not have to pay anything.

Upvote 0
I use Nova Launcher Prime and have for years. There are others. I like Nova. It has the capability of managing the numbers in question.

I use chompSMS and it's younger brother Textra.

I also use Tasker heavily and have a profile that reads incoming text messages to me. As a result I don't have any unread messages in chomp so I can't duplicate your problem.

Your problem sounds like a bug in the messaging app you are using.

... Thom

Upvote 0
Yes I know.

Here's the deal ... pre-installed software ... Verizon is in the drivers seat ... added apps ... you are in the drivers seat.

They used to change the phone app every time there was a new release ... I went with Pixel Phone Pro and use it on all models. Messaging ... I use chompSMS ,,, launcher ... I use Nova Launcher Prime.

When you have apps that can dump/restore their settings then an occasional Factory Data Reset is unfortunate but no longer devastating.

... Thom

Upvote 0
I'm also using Nova Prime as my launcher.... When I added the new Google Messages app ( just labeled Messages in the app drawer ) to one of my desktop screens...

I see no number listed on it. I have also read all messages prior to this point... So it may be an unread message number that will go away once it believes all messages have been read... and if not once they are deleted.

I'd suggest going through all messages you've got saved up until now ( whether you've read them or not since it may not know ) to start with... see if that helps.

Upvote 0
It seems we can no longer attach photos or take a photo in messenger? am I missing something?

Clarify something... are you talking about an app called Messenger or Messages?

On my Turbo2, it changed from Messenger over to Messages which is a different app and I also don't see a way to take a photo from within Messages. I can attach a photo from the Gallery or any other app that I can share something from but I don't see a way to attach a photo from within the app itself.

Upvote 0
Clarify something... are you talking about an app called Messenger or Messages?

On my Turbo2, it changed from Messenger over to Messages which is a different app and I also don't see a way to take a photo from within Messages. I can attach a photo from the Gallery or any other app that I can share something from but I don't see a way to attach a photo from within the app itself.
I am talking about messages. If you hit the plus + it opens another view and you can take photos, one other issue I found is I always have a # on the icon even after I read a message. It's dumb. I don't like it.

Upvote 0
I am talking about messages. If you hit the plus + it opens another view and you can take photos, one other issue I found is I always have a # on the icon even after I read a message. It's dumb. I don't like it.

I've yet to see the # sign on the icon, but the number of message threads I keep are minimal, usually after a conversation is completed, I delete that thread... as I suggested before, go into all of your existing messages at least once so the new app knows they've been read, you may have an older message thread that is still marked as unread.

Thom's mentioning chompSMS also makes a good suggestion as an app to try. It's layout is similar to Messages ( and probably Messenger ) but has a lot more options. Perhaps it'll work more to your liking.

One of the nice things about an Android phone is that you aren't stuck just doing things one way, if you don't like something you can usually find another way or an app that works more as you'd like.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones