• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

can android backup restore undo phone Reset?

coyote2

Jan 4, 2019
I Reset my phone (as advised by OnePlus support). Not only didn't it fix my problem, now I have some two digit number of hours of work re-setting up my phone to do.

I would've preferred not to have Reset my phone and just lived with the significant issue. Is there a way to Restore yesterday's Google backup of the phone to make it exactly like it was yesterday, so I don't have many hours of re-setting up to do?

If not, the phone is already going to take so much work to become usable again, I wonder how much more work going to a full factory reset would be.

Incidentally, the issue the issue is that I don't get Notifications on my Gmail account's messages. I was up until two days ago when I started using a different Gmail account, and set up to get notifications of a 2nd Gmail account. But the result was that I got no notifications of emails to either. The phone reset restored notifications of messages to my old email account, but not to the one I'd now switched to and thus primarily want notifications for.

Thank you very much for your reply, Danny. Before calling OnePlus I confirmed the notification settings on (and turned them off/on). Before OnePlus asked me to resort to Reseting my phone we cleared my cache. Yes my Gmail app includes those and my other Gmail accounts. Not getting email notifications was bad, but now having my phone unusable without many hours of setup is worse.

Upvote 0
For years I've been using both accounts on the phone (which as you might imagine isn't easy to manage); the 'new' account has been the main account and the account for things that my workspace account doesn't support, the 'old' account has been the primary Gmail account and Contacts.

Anyway, at some point I may choose to remove the 'old' account from the phone (it would be a big plus not to have to manage multiple Google accounts on the phone, but it is entirely possible). Maybe it would be a good idea to remove the old account before a factory reset, I may be ready to do that now, though I wish I could wait a few months until the time comes I may delete the old account itself from Google.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
you should have used oneplus's backup/restore utility program:

so you are still not getting notifications from gmail after the reset, correct? are you sure that you have gmail toggled on for notifications?

Upvote 0
you should have used oneplus's backup/restore utility program:

so you are still not getting notifications from gmail after the reset, correct? are you sure that you have gmail toggled on for notifications?
Thank you very much for your reply, ocnbrze!

Are you suggesting the Switch app for before Resets, or daily?

After the Reset I'm getting notifications again from Gmail for the old account, but still not (for the account I want them for) for the new account. Yes, notifications are toggled on the Gmail, and for both accounts.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Try deleting your old account. And see if the new account gets notifications.... if it does, than try adding the old account.

Use the switch app to backup and restore whenever you want. I would do a backup as soon as your phone is back to working how you want it.
Thanks for your help, ocnbrze! Deleting the old account from the phone didn't help. I think I'll go ahead with a Factory Reset now.

Upvote 0
Ok let us know if that works or not.
I did the factory reset, and it still didn't resolve the issue.

In the Gmail app and in Settings under Users, there is only the new account. However, in Settings under Notifications/Gmail there are still all the Settings there used to be (4 Google accounts with Notification off, and the old and new accounts with Notifications On.)

Plus I hate OnePlus' OS, and now I have countless hours of setup to re-do, wow am I unhappy.

Here's something I guess I should've tried before I went down this path: I don't get the Gmail notifications on my old phone either.

Should I Factory Reset again and not restore settings (I think settings was one of the categories)?

Edit: On the plus side, I just tried switching on Unread Count and it's working for the first time on this phone! (Using Action Launcher; and yes, I had done testing with the stock launcher.) This actually is better than what I was trying to do: I prefer Unread Count to a Notification. However, it remains concerning that I can't get Gmail Notifications to work.

New Edit: In Gmail Settings if I click on Notification Sounds for the new account I get a message that I need to go to Settings to turn on Notifications for that Account but when I click the Settings button on the message to do so it shows that Notifications for that account are already turned on.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I did the factory reset, and it still didn't resolve the issue.

In the Gmail app and in Settings under Users, there is only the new account. However, in Settings under Notifications/Gmail there are still all the Settings there used to be (4 Google accounts with Notification off, and the old and new accounts with Notifications On.)

Plus I hate OnePlus' OS, and now I have countless hours of setup to re-do, wow am I unhappy.

Here's something I guess I should've tried before I went down this path: I don't get the Gmail notifications on my old phone either.

Should I Factory Reset again and not restore settings (I think settings was one of the categories)?

Edit: On the plus side, I just tried switching on Unread Count and it's working for the first time on this phone! (Using Action Launcher; and yes, I had done testing with the stock launcher.) This actually is better than what I was trying to do: I prefer Unread Count to a Notification. However, it remains concerning that I can't get Gmail Notifications to work.

New Edit: In Gmail Settings if I click on Notification Sounds for the new account I get a message that I need to go to Settings to turn on Notifications for that Account but when I click the Settings button on the message to do so it shows that Notifications for that account are already turned on.
which oneplus phone do you have now? and your old phone gets both notifications?

Upvote 0
Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0
I was about to do a Hard Reset, but I decided to see if OnePlus had any less drastic ideas. They suggested a Settings Reset, which I did. Then they suggested I log out of the Google Account (then my cordless battery died) but I didn't see where to do that so I removed it from the phone. And bingo, when I get an email I get both a Notification and an Unread Count.

Thanks for your help ocnbrze and everyone!

Now to re-configure Gmail and the phone.

I was about to do a Hard Reset, but I decided to see if OnePlus had any less drastic ideas. They suggested a Settings Reset, which I did. Then they suggested I log out of the Google Account (then my cordless battery died) but I didn't see where to do that so I removed it from the phone. And bingo, when I get an email I get both a Notification and an Unread Count.

Thanks for your help ocnbrze and everyone!

Now to re-configure Gmail and the phone.
What did you remove from your phone? Your cordless battery? Or your google account? Just wanted to be clear on what fixed your phone?

Upvote 0
Use the switch app to backup and restore whenever you want. I would do a backup as soon as your phone is back to working how you want it.

Now a week later I have the phone working how I want it, and Switch is now called "Clone Phone" and I can't find any way to use it to make a backup without telling it what DIFFERENT phone I'll be restoring the backup to. I'll message OnePlus about this and let you know what they say.

Upvote 0
Now a week later I have the phone working how I want it, and Switch is now called "Clone Phone" and I can't find any way to use it to make a backup without telling it what DIFFERENT phone I'll be restoring the backup to. I'll message OnePlus about this and let you know what they say.
have you tried this?

Upvote 0
have you tried this?
It looks like that URL shows using Switch, and as I mentioned Switch is now "Clone Phone". So no I didn't try Switch because there is no Switch now.

But as I said I tried "Clone Phone" (and can't find a way to use it as a backup utility. To elaborate, to use "Clone Phone" one is immediately asked whether it's installed on the Old or New phone. If one answers Old, one immediately needs to scan a barcode on the OTHER phone. If one answers New, a barcode, appears. I haven't tried printing out the barcode.). (There is also a 'manual connect' option to scan for outside hotspots.) There are no other options in "Clone Phone".

Last edited:
Upvote 0
p.s. OnePlus support got back to me.

"... backup & restore option is no longer available on Android 12 and later versions. Currently, this application is primarily used for transferring content between devices."

I repeatedly asked for their recommendation for best backup to restore to the same device and this was all they would say.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones