• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I would like to root my Android S8+

Hi as the title states. would like to know the most popular ways to root and camera options. I would also like to know if i can save the OEM ROM..is that the correct term? so if i wanted to go back someday to the original phone OS. THANKS
what do you mean about camera options?

to save a rom you will need a custom recovery....mainly twrp as suggested by @Dannydet. in twrp in you can make a nandroid backup. a nanrdroid backup is a complete backup of your phone. once your phone is rooted and have twrp installed, making the nandroid backup should be the very next thing you do. also anytime you want to delete something or flash a custom rom, make a nandroid backup first.

Reactions: mikedt and Dannydet
Upvote 0
You don't say whether your phone is a North American model (qualcomm processor) or a Vast Majority of the World model (exynos processor). This makes a huge difference to how you root it or even whether you can, and what ROMs or mods are available for it once you have.

These different models may have the same marketing name, s8+, but are different phones internally, and mods intended for one will not work on the other, so it's very important to use the right software for your phone.

And yes, you can save the original ROM if you can unlock the phone and install a custom recovery without modifying it. But that's not enough to return it fully to stock software, for that your best bet is just to reflash it with a full set of official software. Even then it will be clear that the phone had been modified, since rooting will trip the Knox "E-fuse", and software that checks the Knox status will detect your phone as having been altered.

Also if you use any apps that don't like running on rooted phones (payment apps, banking apps, some media apps) make sure that whatever root method you use does allow you to hide the fact that it is rooted from the specific apps you care about.

In short, do your research before you try to change anything.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones