• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [1st Gen] What would you do with a rooted Kindle Fire?

Let's assume the Kindle can be easily rooted and maybe even different mods flashed. What would you want to do with it?

Granted, we don't know all of its limitations yet. But we can assume many users, like myself, would want to root to run programs that might not otherwise work (like Gmail, Google Reader or Feedly, and Facebook).

Please note that the Kindle Fire will be my first tablet

I would love some of the people working on this project to make the apk for the kindle e-reader app available so we can use it on other Android Devices.

As you may know, the Kindle app on the Android Market lacks functionality. You cant change the line spacing or the font type. However, the version of the Kindle App on the Fire is different. It has all the options that regular kindles do... and i want that to improve my reading experience on my Android HP Touchpad

Upvote 0
Right now I am trying to get VPNC Widget running. I got the apk installed by backing it up from my epic 4g and loading onto my kindle fire, but it apparently is missing the tun.ko .

Since I seem to recall the tun.ko was specific for each phone I am going to guess there is not one for the Fire. When I have time I will try to see if it is not just looking for it in the wrong place and make some sym links

I dont even know if it is possible at all since I can't even find basic VPN capability on the Fire , but I am still hopeful.

Even if I get that solved, there is the additional factor of getting it to run as a widget instead of an app... which is required in order to actually connect...

Upvote 0
I would love some of the people working on this project to make the apk for the kindle e-reader app available so we can use it on other Android Devices.

As you may know, the Kindle app on the Android Market lacks functionality. You cant change the line spacing or the font type. However, the version of the Kindle App on the Fire is different. It has all the options that regular kindles do... and i want that to improve my reading experience on my Android HP Touchpad

Doubt that will ever happen. When you consider that the app is heavily coded into the framework it is not just a simple apk pull. Like the Nook Color the app is part of the OS and wont be able to be moved without heavy framework hacking.

Reactions: Ekimalito
Upvote 0
Pretty much does everything I want as is with the exception of Google Sky but that won't work anyway due to hardware limitations. :(

I installed google sky into mine, my sister needed it for her astronomy class, although not to sure about it's accuracy but it worked just fine. I would imagine you have to have wifi running for it to function well at all.

Reactions: kennychaffin
Upvote 0
Hmm, honestly I had not even tried because I (apparently mistakenly) believed it relied on GPS for positioning.

Yeah, does tell you to "enable you gps" location before you begin, and being that there is none, I had to push cancel. Then I was able to use the program. My sister said its accuracy has always been sketchy on a lot of devices, but she seemed to be fine with it. I dunno. She hasn't had too much practice with it, but maybe you who might know the app better can tell. Also I did root my kindle and installed the google framework .apk so maybe that's why I can use it. Try it, you can always delete it if it doesn't work properly or at all!:)

Upvote 0
Yeah, does tell you to "enable you gps" location before you begin, and being that there is none, I had to push cancel. Then I was able to use the program. My sister said its accuracy has always been sketchy on a lot of devices, but she seemed to be fine with it. I dunno. She hasn't had too much practice with it, but maybe you who might know the app better can tell. Also I did root my kindle and installed the google framework .apk so maybe that's why I can use it. Try it, you can always delete it if it doesn't work properly or at all!:)

Just tried it, doesn't work for sh*t. :D

It comes up and has a starmap, but isn't displayed properly.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones