• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

3 vs O2 serious help and consideration needed

Hi, when the Samsung Galaxy S4 comes out i shall be buying it, although my main problem is what network to go on, now, i have been a loyal O2 customer for years and years and have never really encountered a problem with them other than the usual loss of service when they go down etc little things like that but not any big major issues. until now, atm i have a 1gb data allowance with O2 and honestly that's not enough for me because when im out and about i would like to use the full potential of my phone and not limit myself because of a data cap but i cant do that. This is why im thinking of moving to three because of their unlimited data. Obviously i know its not actually unlimited but i can pretty much use as much as i can each month. what my main concern is is that i have been on review websites and 99.9% of the reviews have basically said dont go to three never do it the worst mistake of your life it will be. I need some help what to do stay with O2 but on a limit with such an amazing phone as the Samsung Galaxy S4....can i cope with that. or try my luck with three which ill be stuck with in a 2 year contract? Thanks

I've been using 3 for several years and the network has been very reliable, with only the unavoidable failures that effect any network from time to time in areas with fewer, wider area cells like rural Lancashire where I live.

Customer support is another matter - I find it less frustrating to visit my local(ish) 3 shop than try to make sense of the phone support, as I did on the one occasion I needed them.

I can't advise you on your course of action, that depends on too many unknowns, but I can relate my experiences when I tried O2 - briefly - and returned to 3 which I find better matches my usage patterns.

Upvote 0
Hi, when the Samsung Galaxy S4 comes out i shall be buying it, although my main problem is what network to go on, now, i have been a loyal O2 customer for years and years and have never really encountered a problem with them other than the usual loss of service when they go down etc little things like that but not any big major issues. until now, atm i have a 1gb data allowance with O2 and honestly that's not enough for me because when im out and about i would like to use the full potential of my phone and not limit myself because of a data cap but i cant do that. This is why im thinking of moving to three because of their unlimited data. Obviously i know its not actually unlimited but i can pretty much use as much as i can each month. what my main concern is is that i have been on review websites and 99.9% of the reviews have basically said dont go to three never do it the worst mistake of your life it will be. I need some help what to do stay with O2 but on a limit with such an amazing phone as the Samsung Galaxy S4....can i cope with that. or try my luck with three which ill be stuck with in a 2 year contract? Thanks

Don't forget that most people only leave a review when they have something to complain about. I'm not being negative but generally the 'average user' will only go and look for a forum or seek out their carrier's website when they need help with a technical issue or problem they can't solve themselves. Generally speaking, Average Joe Phone won't go to their carrier's website to leave positive feedback; it's just the way it is.

Now, I have heard horror stories about 3's customer service but everyone I know on 3 has praised the signal strength, coverage and data plan. Like John says, you are best off going to a 3 store if you have an issue rather that trying to wade through their customer services on the phone. I will be moving to 3 once my current Vodafone contract expires so I can use the unlimited data they offer.

Upvote 0
Just an update on customer services: I had a question about replacement SIMs and transfers of credit with PAYG phones that I couldn't find on the website and as I wasn't in a hurry for an answer I thought I'd try an email. I expected the usual unhelpful reply - if I ever got one - but I was wrong.

Instead I got a phone call from a very informative operative who not only answered my questions but offered other alternatives without being too pushy with the sales pitch. Perhaps I was just lucky or maybe 3 are actually beginning to get their customer support act together at last...

Either way it was a huge improvement on my previous experience and completely frustration-free. Way to go, 3 :)

Reactions: davoid
Upvote 0
I think Three are fine - including the Customer Service. After a couple of months of owning my Galaxy S3 I noticed it had a stuck pixel which was not easy to spot. I phoned up and told Customer Service and they organized a pick up and replacement immediately. No complaints whatsoever from me. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones