• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

A few phone problems. Related?

old_codger

Jun 3, 2011
WV
I don't know if my problem(s) is/are Alpha specific or android in general. I'm posting here and hoping for resolution.
SM-G850-A

In the last 2 months I've noticed a few changes to my phone.

On manual restart, I get 4 telephone ring tones instead of the standard Saumsung startup tone. When the Alpha starts up spontaneously (don't know why), I get the stadard startup tone.

At times, updating or opening apps is glacier like. Evernote takes 40-50 seconds to open, Google Play takes 30-40 seconds, Firefox can take over a minute (timed, no exaggeration).

More puzzling to me, the battery drains amazingly fast, umm, depending on time of day. With the phone off (not shut down), the battery loses 40-50% of power per hour, but only before 8AM. Between 8AM and 11-12ish, battery drains 13-15% per hour. After 12P, it loses 2-3% an hour. After about 6P, it loses 13-15% an hour. These are all averages over one week. In use, I can drain the phone in an hour and that is with NO video and few graphics.

Per GSam battery app, screen uses 10%, phone radio 14%, Android system 16%, Kernel 12%. No other app uses more than 3.5%. During early AM, Android system can use 40-42% of battery. FWIW, running two apps in the background, probably more but I know of these two.
1) Sound Profile PRO
1) My Data Manager

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones