• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessing data when screen doesn't work

JLeslie

May 6, 2010
I dropped my Nexus 5 and now the screen doesn't work. It's not broken or cracked but there's no display and it doesn't respond to touch. The phone itself works as it signals when email comes in (via wifi) and alarms I had set go off. I was told at the store that the connection betwee I have another phone and my contacts and photos were backed up at Google but there are other files on the phone I would like to recover.

I've been searching for ways to do this and it seems like all of them require you to put your phone into Developer Mode. But you can't do that without the display! When I connect it to a PC, it is recognized and a window opens but it's blank, no contents.

I found one solution which is an HDMI connection kit that allows you to use a PC monitor and mouse when the screen isn't usable but I'd like to avoid buying one for a one time use.

So I'm searching for a way to access the phone's contents with or without rooting that doesn't require me to put the phone into Developer Mode which I can't do without the screen. Any suggestions?

JL

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones