• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Activate a dumb phone but use an Android

Hi all,

I'm hoping someone can help me with this. My Grandmother wants to add a phone on her account for me. Seeing as how her and I are on a tight budget we are trying to go as cheap as possible with this. So here's what I'm wondering, if I activate an old dumb phone I have laying around the house on AT&T, it will add $20 a month to her plan or if I bring my own Android phone to activate it will be $25 a month, but from what the AT&T rep told me, if I get a phone through them it will be $40 a month. So if I were to activate the old dumb phone I have on hand and as soon as it gets activated pop the Sim card into an Android phone would AT&T know and would they start charging me more for it? I would only use the internet for when I am connected to a wifi hotspot, so I would be careful about my data usage seeing as her current plan only has 300MB of data included per month. If anyone can please help me, I would forever be grateful.

Thank You,
JohnDoeIII504

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones