• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

adchoice from NY times on Note8

annamagnani

Apr 8, 2023
Hi,

The New York Times recently started using AdChoice ads on their app. I am a paying subscriber. Originally they said the ads would be temporary but they're now decided to keep using them. Most of them, ast least in the beginning were about Amazon.

I have a Note 8 which I do not use as a phone. I use it as a "back up" computer.

I do not have a lot of apps and I also have Norton. I have no malware or other problems with this device.

I have written back and forth with customer service at the Times, to no avail.

Is there a way that I can block, get rid of these ads on my Note 8? I have gone into that opt out data base which goes through all the various advertisers but I've never found that to work in the long run. I have "do not track" turned on, it was turned off before the ads started running.

These adchoice ads are now showing up more, I think on other sites as well. I think it's more. Could the Times be cross "contaminating" my phone?

Thank you in advance.

Reactions: Dannydet
I'm using the NYT app. I pay for the paper.

I read the reviews of some of the adblocks. They weren't very good, for the browser. I'll look again

I have friends with androids and they say they don't get bombarded with ads and that's without using an adblock.
How can that be? And they go on youtube a lot.
Thanks

Upvote 0
I'm using the nytimes app but i would be very interested in a good adblock for chrome.

Is there one you recommend? I was reading some of the reviews and they're not very good.

If i am using a specific app like textfree or Duolingo, both for free, will that cause more ads to appear more in the chrome browser?

I would think not since they are apps. There are quite a lot of ads here for example,
from AdChoice, and i went through all the opt outs so obviously that doesn't work.

Upvote 0
On both my windows computer and my android devices I use Adguard Ad blocker, which eliminates all ads no matter if you use a browser or an app.
Used it for years and never a problem.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
thank you. ii will look into it.Some of the reviews says it blocks everything including searches. overblocks in other words.

.do you know how i can sign out of my google account on the android.

I have looked and read and looked and the sign out option is gone.

it used to be there. This is crazy.

Last edited:
Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones