• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Ads on phone, they gave me an option to opt out, but...

N

Nigel A

Help, I got ads yesterday on my phone and I get them ranging from banners, to taking up the whole screen. Its on every app including the homescreen. I got a banner today that said "Opt out" beneath it, I cliked on it and it pretty much said this

"Download opt-out app or Opt out manually" for the buttons, under it said

"There are two ways to opt out of mobile recommendations: 1. Simple: just download our Android opt out app and delete it when your done 2. Advanced: opt-out manually via the website by entering your IMEI, MEID and/or ESN. This info is availble in Menu -> Settings -> About Phone -> Status -> IMEI/MEID/ESN."

Should I trust this? Are IMEI, MEID, or ESN bad htings to just giveaway? Should I download the APK?

Last edited by a moderator:
Should I trust this? Are IMEI, MEID, or ESN bad htings to just giveaway? Should I download the APK?

No. Do not trust this. Those personal identifiers should never be shared and I would guess that they can't use them to identify you. It sounds like phishing.

Did you install any apps recently that might be pushing ads? I'd give addons detector a whirl to see if you have an app that's pushing these to your phone.

Reactions: tube517 and Bg260
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones