• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android Contact Syncing with Gmail and Outlook

In Android, Settings – Account and Sync – Manage account (select gmail account) – Data & Synchronization :
[\/]Sync Contacts – what is the syncing to or from? What direction?
[\/]Sync Gamil – what direction, from gmail contact to Android contact? But after I do a sync at the Android phone, I notice some gamil contact entries did not show up at the Android contact.
When you select the account the sync options are with regard to that account. Since you selected gmail, those settings are only relevant to gmail. Sync implies bidirectional if "one way" is not specified. Sync Contacts refers to the syncing of contacts. Sync gmail refer to the syncing of email.

When I export Gmail Contact for Outlook (Microsoft Outlook 2007 for Windows 7) how do I import into Outlook?
File->Open->Import in Outlook. Don't forget Google -- this info is easily found if you don't know the answer. You need to export contacts from gmail to CSV.

Are you looking to do a one-time export/import or are you actually looking to sync contacts with Outlook? What you exactly intend to do makes a difference in the option that you should choose.

Upvote 0
Thank you for your answers.

If I update either Android contact or Gmail contact,
for example adding new email address or change mobile phone, at the Android,
when I perform the syncing at the Android, are the how does the Android know not to take the Gmail contact old mobile number?

Does Android know it should keep the most recent contact update, either in Gmail or at the mobile phone?

Upvote 0
I am using Samsung Galaxy GT-I5800. At settings > Applications > Manage Applications >
I cannot find All Applications, nor Contacts.

I still do not know how to delete the entire contact list.

Settings->Applications->Manage Applications->All->Contacts Storage is what you want.

If you are on an OS earlier than 2.2, there is just one list of apps, I think, so just look for Contacts Storage, then clear its data.

Reactions: young707
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones