• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Android Is consuming battery since Kitkat- cause Battery Guru?

nx1977

Android Expert
Feb 8, 2010
UK
Wife is complaining her Moto G is no longer lasting 2 days between charges and is only just lasting 1.

Only changes recently are the Kitkat update and installing the Battery Guru app I'm running on my Nexus 5.

Looking at her battery usage, Android Os is accounting for almost 50% and has an awake time of 5 hours.

As Battery Guru is listed as part of the processes the Os is running, could this be the cause?

Wife is complaining her Moto G is no longer lasting 2 days between charges and is only just lasting 1.

Only changes recently are the Kitkat update and installing the Battery Guru app I'm running on my Nexus 5.

Looking at her battery usage, Android Os is accounting for almost 50% and has an awake time of 5 hours.

As Battery Guru is listed as part of the processes the Os is running, could this be the cause?

I think Kit Kat takes a bit more to tame. Check all Google related settings for things you should uncheck if you are not using them, like various background syncs, using more battery efficient location services, unchecking Hotword detection unless you *really* can't live wihtout OK Google (voice search still works, you just have to activate it-- scanning for your voice commands uses a lot of battery), etc.

Battery Guru may eventually do all this for you if you let it, based on your usage. I tend to prefer making my own adjustments.

Upvote 0
Hey,

there have been reports that the media server process is keeping the phone awake. It's activated by apps such as Skype or Snapchat. When you remove the update for these apps (as well disable auto-update in the Google Play Store) then the media server closes correctly.

The media server would appear under android OS in the battery stats, so that would fit for you.

Not sure about battery guru. Support can analyze the battery for you when you enable Motocare in settings--> privacy. They can then tell you what is keeping the phone awake and which settings to improve.

Hope that helps!
Nicole

Upvote 0
Someone's it's advised to factory reset the device after an OS upgrade.

It is always recommended after a major system upgrade like ICS to JB or JB to KK. It should generally not be needed for an upgrade that is not major.

You can try running in Safe Mode (disabling all aps you added without uninstalling them) and if the problem goes away it is caused by an app that you added.

... Thom

Upvote 0
Hey,

there have been reports that the media server process is keeping the phone awake. It's activated by apps such as Skype or Snapchat. When you remove the update for these apps (as well disable auto-update in the Google Play Store) then the media server closes correctly.

The media server would appear under android OS in the battery stats, so that would fit for you.

Not sure about battery guru. Support can analyze the battery for you when you enable Motocare in settings--> privacy. They can then tell you what is keeping the phone awake and which settings to improve.

Hope that helps!
Nicole
The following are listed under Usage details for android system

36%
Keep awake 6h17m

Keychain
Settings storage
com.motorola.motgeofencesvc
LocationServices
NativeDropBoxAgent (Dropbox now removed as not used)
com.motorola.authentication
MotoCareInt
DiagMdlog Settings
Motorola Assist framework
Input devices
FMRadioService
Settings storage
com.qualcomm.qualcommsettings
Motorola Services Main
Settings
com.qualcomm.atfwd
Android system
Fused Location

Assuming most are Motorola bits, as I've only 4 items on my Nexus 5 and most of the same apps installed.

Upvote 0
I think yohelp st have way to many apps running, not sure witch one is a battery drainer, but did you have all of them installed on JB? What's Awake time? battery life usually is defined by Screen Time On. I feel like you are over exaggerating on your issue a little bit.
It's not a case of running too many apps because of the way android and kitkat work.

As above its specifically Android Os that is consuming the majority (40-50%) of each full charge cycle. Screen time, which yes is usually the highest, is actually showing as fairly low surprisingly.

Above is a list of everything listed under Android Os which I'm after help identifying anything out of the ordinary. Android Os awake time is between 3 and 6 HOURS! Hence this thread seeking others helo

There's no over exaggeration.

Upvote 0
Some apps are designed to update or sync every few minutes if you set them to. Just because android kills processes does not mean there is nothing running on background. Try disabling Data for few hours, see if anything changes. There are many causes of battery discharging faster than usial. Low signal could be another cause.

Upvote 0
Some apps are designed to update or sync every few minutes if you set them to. Just because android kills processes does not mean there is nothing running on background. Try disabling Data for few hours, see if anything changes. There are many causes of battery discharging faster than usial. Low signal could be another cause.
With the greatest of respect this is our 11th android device (4 currently in household) so I know what to check for as a basic check.

There are no new apps since Kitkat update, and all the apps ran fine on the Moto G and previous HTC without draining battery.

I'm after assistance identifying if a) everyone else has the same processes running that I've listed above and b) if not which processes aren't running on their Moto G running KK

Upvote 0
With the greatest of respect this is our 11th android device (4 currently in household) so I know what to check for as a basic check.

There are no new apps since Kitkat update, and all the apps ran fine on the Moto G and previous HTC without draining battery.

I'm after assistance identifying if a) everyone else has the same processes running that I've listed above and b) if not which processes aren't running on their Moto G running KK

I have 3 kitkat devices and I manage all other androids I have. almost all of them are rooted and recoveries installed. Check this thread, its not about moto g but its about KK. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2595158

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones