• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android SmartWatches

freakshow85

Android Enthusiast
Nov 17, 2013
So, I have had a Sony SmartWatch MN2SW for well over a year, maybe two. I was disappointed with it from the start. Was not as "cool" as I thought it would be. Poor screen quality, super-simple "baby" apps, and it's not even stylish. The only thing I've liked about it is that I can check my speed via GPS through an app on my SmartWatch while riding my motorcycle. My speedometer calibration is off.

So, I want to try another one. I'm even thinking about the SmartWatch 2, as it seems more powerful with more apps, but I don't want to regret it, again. And the price for it really hasn't came down that much after all this time.

I am definitely not opposed to a cheapo Chinese model, as long as it actually has nice screen quality.

Well, let me list a few things I'd want in one:
A built-in microphone is a must. I want to be able to dial a phone number from the watch, and also talk through the watch. I just saw a $35 chinese smartwatch that could do this.
A decent resolution. Not exactly sure what this would be, but it ISN'T what the SmartWatch1 is. 1.3” OLED, display 128 x 128 pixels 65k (16 bits) color. I assume something 320x320 or higher will be necessary to start looking clear. Pictures currently look like crap on the SmartWatch1.
Oh, and I can only hope these newer models aren't as slow as the original SmartWatch can act. I know the majority of the load is happening at the phone, but the watch itself wasn't responsive in some areas.

Anyone have any recommendations and personal experiences with some newer smartwatches?

Haha. That looks like a downgrade from my already ultra low res Sony Smartwatch1. Wish these decent smartwatches didn't cost as much as a mid to mid-high range phone. I may end up looking into the Sony SmartWatch2 or 3. I know the SmartWatch2 doesn't meet what I 'thought' I'd like the pixels to add up to, BUT when watching reviews, it APPEARS to be multitudes clearer than the original Sony SmartWatch. Plus, everytime I look for apps for my current SmartWatch, I have to browse through 80% of apps that are for the SmartWatch2. Lots of nicer apps for it compared to its predecessor.

Upvote 0
With the App infrastructure behind it, stella battery life (for a smartwatch anyway) and microphone (which hopefully will be able to leverage "ok google" behind it, it looks like a massive step up from the Sony Smartwatch/ Smartwatch2 at a lower pricepoint that the smartwatch3.

Pixel count is one thing... but its not the only factor in readablilty. .. display type and screen type also make a big difference. The classic pebble for example is really good at being read on a wrist...

I'd hang on till they are available and then go and get some hands on time with them... I probably wouldn't go for the smartwatch 2 as thats going to annoy you for much of the same reasons as its predecessor... Android wear devices look amazing but its a lot harder to justify that chunk of change on a watch....

Upvote 0
With the App infrastructure behind it, stella battery life (for a smartwatch anyway) and microphone (which hopefully will be able to leverage "ok google" behind it, it looks like a massive step up from the Sony Smartwatch/ Smartwatch2 at a lower pricepoint that the smartwatch3.

Pixel count is one thing... but its not the only factor in readablilty. .. display type and screen type also make a big difference. The classic pebble for example is really good at being read on a wrist...

I'd hang on till they are available and then go and get some hands on time with them... I probably wouldn't go for the smartwatch 2 as thats going to annoy you for much of the same reasons as its predecessor... Android wear devices look amazing but its a lot harder to justify that chunk of change on a watch....

Thanks for the advice. I looked at those pebbles a little more, earlier, and they weren't so bad, really. Granted, I didn't spend too long, I'm half zombie as I've been up all night reading stuff lol. I have, currently, 40ish chrome tabs going on my S3. Haven't even crashed! I have been making sure to leave as much RAM available as I can.
Like, as for the pebble, do you know offhand if it can play video of any kind? Now I'm not proud of my Sony SW1 (technically MN2SW, or w/e), but it can display moving video, live from my phone via Bluetooth. It's probably only 5fps, haven't worn it but once in the last 10 months. But I must finish before this sounds wrong... it only streams live camera feed from phone to watch for pictures, spying, etc. No way to stream video media to it that I'm aware. It just never got much support before everything much bigger and better started coming out. Even if it could... a decent quality movie would be unbearable to watch on this thing.

Upvote 0
Meh, almost didn't send these pictures. Haven't had Chrome open while paying in here and checking e-mails (through default android app). When it was open, usage timelines showed what must have been 30 minimum chrome.exe running... for each tab, since Chrome does that. I'm sure you're well aware of how it all works, but you'll just have to take my word that almost everything had closed to make space because I hadn't closed Chrome in hours... I mean left it in focus.

Edit: I won't lie. Wish I could retake the photo with different tabs showing. I knew what vasoconstriction was, someone had vasoC, typed like that, and I hit enter as soon as an auto-fill/auto-complete popped in. Ok wow, why am I excusing myself over something that wouldn't have been noticed, but now will be.... *debating not editing now*... ah screw it... enjoy my ranting. I'm just getting hyped over stupid smart watches.

Attachments

• 1431251623892.jpg
    1431251623892.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 51
  • 1431251654356.jpg
    1431251654356.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well, I'll still post one pic. It was only like three... maybe five or six years ago when browsers started using such massive amounts of RAM. I literally just had right near 6GB RAM used on my PC from being Chrome crazy. Probably would have been more had I not only had 6GB DDR2 installed lol. Plenty for games though... so far. Still made me open a tab to NewEgg and direct my results to DDR2. I have 2x 1 gigabyte sticks and 2x 2 gigabyte sticks and only 4 slots so I need to get 2x more 2 gigabytes sticks to replace my 1 gigabyte sticks.

Blah, stuff gets too long using the Google voice to text.

Anutha edit: added another screenshot lol. Dat data spike tho.

Attachments

• 1431252442146.jpg
    1431252442146.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 47
  • Screenshot_2015-05-10-06-20-24[1].png
    Screenshot_2015-05-10-06-20-24[1].png
    60.6 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones