• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps Android suggestion for icons

FortKnox

Nov 23, 2008
I was going to post this as an Android "feature request" bug, but I can only find a way to report actual bugs; if anyone knows how to do this, please let me know. Thanks!

I suggest allowing multiple, dynamic icons for apps (or the shortcut name to be dynamically changed), like for the VoiceRecorder & Powermanager apps. For the V.R. it's useful to tell at a glance how many messages are store in there currently, which my dedicated-hardware V.R. does. For Powermanager, it would be nice to have the percentage the battery is full be part of the name, so you could have that right on the "desktop." And the percentage would need to be the 1st part of the name so as not to be replaced by "...".

Dynamic Icons would be very cool, if not abused. Sadly, I don't know of anyway to change the manifest file, and therefore change the icon, from within the app. There may be a way, but I don't know it.

However, I believe it would be possible to change the name. Since the name is just a string, you could have it changed while running the app. It seems possible, but I have yet to try it so don't quote me on it.

Upvote 0
OK, well cool, then it might be possible to get a solution to both by changing the shortcut's name! Now since I don't know jack about making Android apps, would someone please test this, and if it it's possible, let me know what steps I'd need to pass on to the developers (or I'll just give 'em a link here).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones