• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Anyone familiar with BlueStacks?

fdbryant3

Android Expert
May 10, 2011
So a few months ago I bricked my Asus Transformer 300 while upgrading from CyanogenMod 10 (Jelly Bean) to 11 (KitKat). Annoying but what are you going to do.

Anyway I saw a deal on NewEgg for a refurbished Asus Transformer T100TA for $184 and decided that was to good to pass up. Now the thing is this is a Windows 8.1 hybrid - which I consider good since I wanted to get into playing with Windows as a mobile device. However the back of my mind goes what if there are things I miss from Android that I can't replace - which brings me to Bluestacks.

What has y'all's experience been with BlueStacks - in particular if you used on an Atom processor with 2GB of RAM.

Been a while since I played around with it.. on an older windows laptop. It worked, but was a bit on the clunky side. So if there was a particular app that you really need to run then it should be fine, however for most cases I was better off running a windows app instead.

Now things may have moved on since then performance-wise... but its free so give it a go.

Out of curiosity, what is it that you're trying to do that you can't replace with windows?

Upvote 0
I'm also looking for an Android emulator to goof off with. The only issue I see is that it doesn't support Hyper-V which I use to run Win10TP now and then. It'll be a hassle to turn it on/off whenever I want to run Android under another VM Player. There's Andy, Genymotion and upcoming ConsoleOS (which I understand will run native). I'm sure there are others out there. I haven't tried any yet as I'm stil looking.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones