• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Asus Fonepad 7 stuck on Asus logo

Dec 4, 2014
Hi,
I had rooted my Asus Fonepad 7 and deleted some bloatware. Then it became really unstable. Then I did a hard reset by pressing the VOL+ and power key >>Wipe all data.

Now it wont boot. When I power on the tab it shows the intel inside logo as expected but getting stuck at

"Asus In search of incredible" logo.

I read some threads suggesting that I should flash the device with its stock rom downloaded from Asus's website.

I searched but cant find the exact rom

Asus fonepad 7
k012

Someone please give me the link to the official firmware and instructions about installing it

Thanks for your rely I am using Debian Linux. Any suggestions on how to flash the device under Linux ?

I have done

# sudo apt-get install android-tools-adb android-tools-fastboot

# fastboot flash recovery custom-recovery.img< waiting for device >

Its stuck at waiting for device. The device is connected via usb in droid boot mode.

Upvote 0
Sometimes the version of fastboot is old and won't talk to the device.

I would grab / download and extract the most current fastboot (and adb) directly from Google:

I also think you'll need to run/prefix the fastboot command with sudo just to make sure it has privileges to talk to the USB port (i.e., "sudo ./fastboot devices").

Cheers!

Upvote 0
Sometimes the version of fastboot is old and won't talk to the device.

I would grab / download and extract the most current fastboot (and adb) directly from Google:

I also think you'll need to run/prefix the fastboot command with sudo just to make sure it has privileges to talk to the USB port (i.e., "sudo ./fastboot devices").

Cheers!
Thanks for your reply. How do I determine the name of the "devices" ?

Upvote 0
Thanks for your reply. How do I determine the name of the "devices" ?

Not sure what you mean...that command:

sudo ./fastboot devices

will display/show/verify if you've got fastboot connectivity to the currently plugged-in device (i.e., it will show any/all devices that it can "see"). You'd typically do this before trying to flash something just to make sure that you've got proper connectivity, etc.

Your device must be, of course, in fastboot / bootloader mode for this to work.

Upvote 0
Not sure what you mean...that command:

sudo ./fastboot devices

will display/show/verify if you've got fastboot connectivity to the currently plugged-in device (i.e., it will show any/all devices that it can "see"). You'd typically do this before trying to flash something just to make sure that you've got proper connectivity, etc.

Your device must be, of course, in fastboot / bootloader mode for this to work.
I am a newbie. So please pe patient. I am booting the tablet bu pressing the Vol+Power key. This brings up the "Droidboot Provision OS"

Then when I do

root@debian:/home/deb/Downloads/platform-tools# ./fastboot devices
E7OKBC256815 fastboot

# fastboot flash recovery custom-recovery.img
< waiting for device >

Its still stuck at <waiting for device>

Note : I am already root so not using sudo.

Upvote 0
Post #9 in the XDA link has zip file for Intel USB drivers. Not sure if needed for Linux. Post also has fastboot commands.

Thanks, @Jfalls63 -- I can't really see XDA here properly at work (too many ads or something keeps the content from fully, properly displaying).

There's usually no USB driver issues for Linux / Mac systems, so I'm not sure what is going on that @Asus_Fonepad 7 can't see his device (unless it's not really been put into bootloader mode? there are sometimes (often?) other modes like FTM, EDL, Odin, "download", etc. that do not operate like fastboot/bootloader mode does and require different tools to interact with them).

Reactions: Jfalls63
Upvote 0
Found a couple of post at XDA that said they couldn't get fastboot to work with Linux but had no problem with Windows.
Post #1 for example
https://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2771512&page=1

Hmm, that kind of tells me that there's an update/tweak needed to a USB spec file on the Linux system--I can't recall exactly what the name is, but there are indeed things you can and sometimes have to update in Linux to get some USB configurations to work.

Lemme have a quick scan and I'll post back...

Upvote 0
Ah, yes! See this page to see if it helps:

See section #3 where it contains this section:

If you're developing on Ubuntu Linux, you need to add a udev rules file that contains a USB configuration for each type of device you want to use for development. In the rules file, each device manufacturer is identified by a unique vendor ID, as specified by the ATTR{idVendor} property. For a list of vendor IDs, see USB Vendor IDs, below. To set up device detection on Ubuntu Linux:
  1. Log in as root and create this file: /etc/udev/rules.d/51-android.rules.

Use this format to add each vendor to the file:
    SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="0bb4", MODE="0666", GROUP="plugdev"

In this example, the vendor ID is for HTC. The MODE assignment specifies read/write permissions, and GROUP defines which Unix group owns the device node.

Note: The rule syntax may vary slightly depending on your environment. Consult the udev documentation for your system as needed. For an overview of rule syntax, see this guide to
    writing udev rules.
  2. Now execute:
    chmod a+r /etc/udev/rules.d/51-android.rules
:
:
:
There's more stuff in there re. this, so be sure to read all the way through.

Reactions: Jfalls63
Upvote 0
# cat /etc/udev/rules.d/51-android.rules
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="0b05", MODE="0666", GROUP="plugdev"

chmod a+r /etc/udev/rules.d/51-android.rules

# ./adb devices
List of devices attached

^^ The above command shows nothing.

When I droidboot my tab it says (at the bottom)

FASTBOOT INIT...
FASTBOOT CMD WAITING
FASTBOOT OFFLINE!
FASTBOOT CMD WAITING
FASTBOOT OFFLINE!
FASTBOOT CMD WAITING

Upvote 0
adb won't show you anything unless you're booted-up normally with USB debugging enabled and authorized -or- you are running a custom recovery and there's an adb server running for your adb client to connect to.

fastboot will only talk to your device while it's in fastboot/bootloader mode--"fastboot devices" (or "sudo ./fastboot devices" in Linux) is your friend in that situation where you want to verify that you've got fastboot connectivity.

Upvote 0

Hello,

I am also using asus fonepad 7 k12 / FE170CG

I am also having the same issue, my phone can't go fastboot or droidboot mode by up button + power button simultaneously.

the method from link above works fine when my fone got some os issue. but this time, I got no luck because droidboot mode do not appear when booting with the up button + power button pressed simultaneously.

I am using windows.

not a geek with phones and not familiar with fixing either.

Can anybody help me with step by step guide? please

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones