• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Baisc ROM question

Benrx

Dec 13, 2009
This is a really noob question, but I've been reading and reading and I can't find a good answer. I just have to ask it.

When I first got a Droid months back there were a couple programs like Home++ and something else that you could download as a "Home Replacements." You didn't have to root your phone to use them.

How is one of these Home Replacements different from a ROM? I realize you install a ROM after you root a phone, but basically are they the same thing except one is on a rooted phone and one isn't?

Disclaimer: There may be equally bad follow-up questions :)

OK, that answered basic question #2 which was... What is Launcher Pro? It has been mentioned a lot lately. Made it seems something different.

So a launcher is basically your stock ROM (Moto Blur, Sense, Touch Wiz) with some window dressing on it. A ROM is a replacement for your stock ROM and with additional functionality, customization abilities, etc depending on how it is designed.

Upvote 0
LauncherPro is like ADW.Launcher, Home ++, etc... Just a launcher.

Right. Most ROMs are written from source, so the developer can tweak everything to his/her liking. Example: CyanogenMod truly gives you limitless possibilities on what you can change. (Status bar, battery color, lock screen, more sounds, battery percentage, etc..). BuglessBeast is basically a stock ROM, but with a few tweaks that makes it very fast without much more than stock customization. There are many ROMs out there, i just mentioned 2 of the most popular ones.

Also, with a custom ROM, you can then add a customer kernel which allows for underclocking (battery life) and overclocking (performance).

Upvote 0
one of the basic abilities that is provided in most custom ROM's is "wireless tether" which (as you may know) allows your rooted Droid 1 to act like a wireless router for multiple devices to access the internet.

Launchers only provide layout, appearance, organization tweaks.

I use Launcher Pro and LOVE it.

I also use Bugless Beast custom ROM and it has provided a number of benefits over the stock ROM.

Cheers

:)

Upvote 0
Home Replacements or launchers are to android...as Windows explorer is to Windows.

If you want to know how important having a launcher is...just kill explorer.exe via task manager in windows. Pretty hard to do anything at that point. :D

Launcher Pro and ADW are similar style launchers and probably the most popular. Sweeter Home allows for so much more customization but it takes some work to set it up for your liking. The rest of em...I don't have much recent (meaning 8-9 months) of experience with.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones