• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Best Used Smartphone - looking for suggestions

relytgerg

Lurker
Dec 25, 2018
I've been using a Samsung Galaxy S4 for a few years on Tracfone. The 16GB internal memory is becoming an real limitation. I'm looking for a replacement to bring to Tracfone's Bring Your Own Phone program. I'm leaning towards used Verizon phones because that has worked well for the S4 and previous phones. Of course, I want 32GB of internal memory or more. I would strongly prefer one with a removable battery since I tend to keep them for years. I liked Samsung as a manufacturer and for integration with my TV, but more than 32GB and removable battery appears to be near impossible. I've done some research and am leaning towards the LG G5.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Reactions: Clementine_3
Upvote 0
Do a search using your feature preferences as a guide, at gsmarena.com. Example below, with 32GB of internal storage and removable battery as filters:
https://www.gsmarena.com/results.php3?nIntMemMax=32000&sAvailabilities=1&idBatRemovable=1
It's not definitive but since there are just so many Android phones available now it's a good way to at least sort out the ones that don't fit your needs.

Thanks. That is helpful and confirms my preference for an LG, maybe a V20 now.

Upvote 0
Be careful when buying a pre-owned phone. Sites like swappa confirm the devices purchased through their site are checked for validity. Sites like ebay have mostly reputable sellers but there are plenty of instances where people have bought blacklisted phones. Getting a phone cleared after it's been blacklisted typically isn't hassle free -- you might have to provide some kind of documentation from the seller it's not stolen and proof of new ownership by the buyer.
If possible check the IMEI number of any potential new purchase:
https://swappa.com/esn
and/or confirm that wherever you buy it from has a solid return policy.

Also, with a used phone, the first time you start it up there should be some kind of authentication prompting where you have to enter your Google account and password. If it just boots up automatically into a pre-established user account, that's not a good sign. You don't want to be using a phone while it's logged into some anonymous person's account.

Reactions: lunatic59
Upvote 0
I've been using a Samsung Galaxy S4 for a few years on Tracfone. The 16GB internal memory is becoming an real limitation. I'm looking for a replacement to bring to Tracfone's Bring Your Own Phone program. I'm leaning towards used Verizon phones because that has worked well for the S4 and previous phones. Of course, I want 32GB of internal memory or more. I would strongly prefer one with a removable battery since I tend to keep them for years. I liked Samsung as a manufacturer and for integration with my TV, but more than 32GB and removable battery appears to be near impossible. I've done some research and am leaning towards the LG G5.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Okay I am taking it you have tracphone as your carrier? Why not just go to the store and grab a phone, last time I checked they have some reasonable price phones
My last tracphone was the w370:thinking::thumbsdowndroid: I think it was their version of the original razor phone,

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones