• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Callers get long silence before hearing ringing

UncleMike

Android Expert
Nov 15, 2009
Central NJ
I have a Moto X (XT1053 - Developer Edition) on a Go Phone plan and I've been having a problem where callers hear nothing for as long as 15-20 seconds between dialing my number and hearing any ringing. Sometimes this delay is in the 8-10 second range, but it usually reaches 12+ seconds. It's gotten to the point where one caller (my most frequent caller, *and* the most vocal about the issue) starts every call by telling me how many seconds elapsed before the ringing began. I've had similar reports from other callers, but get timing for every call from one. The problem seems to be independent of the caller's carrier - Cablevision (Optimum), Verizon Wireless, Cricket (see below) and FiOS that I know of.

In comparison, we have 3 other Moto X's (all XT1053 - Moto Maker) in the house - all on Cricket (AT&T) - that when called, the caller hears ringing within 6 seconds or less consistently.

All numbers for the above phones have been ported, and are no longer on their original carrier, though mine has been ported many more times (8 or more).

I've had AT&T "re-register" my device on their network (I assume that's some sort of dumbed-down way of describing what they're, or possibly "code" for "I'm going to twiddle my thumbs for a few minutes and see if the issue mysteriously disappears"). I also when to an AT&T store where they gave me a new SIM, and discovered the my IMEI didn't match the IMEI they had listed in their system for me (which they corrected). Subsequent calls still had the problem.

I just now got off the phone with Motorola, after they had me wipe my cache partition. A test call to my phone during my call with Motorola rang (for the caller) in about 2 seconds, according to the support rep, but it wouldn't surprise me if that's because my phone had just rebooted and connected to the network.

Can anyone offer any insight on this issue?

After numerous calls to tech support, opening a network ticket which resulted in them making adjustments to a tower in my area (despite the fact that this problem followed me wherever I went), and a rep claiming to have NPAC (Number Portability Administration Center) rebroadcast my info (I say claimed because I'm not sure they actually did anything), I ported to Cricket and the problem is completely gone. In addition, I'm saving $34/month because I'm the 4th line in our family on Cricket, so I replaced my $60 ($54 at CallingMart) Go Phone plan with a $50 Cricket Pro plan and a $30 discount.

What really made me lose hope in getting the problem fixed without porting was when I told one of AT&T's "advanced" tech support reps that test calls to and from phones on Cricket worked fine, and that my phone worked fine with a Cricket SIM installed, and that this clearly showed that the problem was with my number (not coverage or my phone) since Cricket runs on AT&T, he had no knowledge of the fact that Cricket runs on AT&T. AT&T owns Cricket!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones