• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Can anyone reccomend a tablet that won't break the bank?

David Devoy

Sep 9, 2016
Can anyone recommend an Android Tablet spec. to just let me watch youTube, Netflix etc., answer my emails
and post on forums, etc. etc.

I want 8 inch or bigger screen. Not too fussed about the camera.

I have no idea how much RAM would be comfortable.

I have a Samsun Galaxy mobile so I was thinking a Samsung galaxy 10 inch tablet.

Sorry for the delay in response, but I can't suggest any of the cheapo off-brand Android tablets. They're all over eBay and on the bottom shelves of electronics stores. (1) Cheap Chinese tablets rarely come with Google Play Store (they have their own store, which may or may not still work); (b) the firmware will probably never get an update because fly-by-night manufacturers don't bother with supporting the tablets long term; and (c) if you have a warranty issue, you may as well throw the tablet away and get another one. If you can get support, you get to pay shipping to and from China... which will cost more than the tablet.

Please stick to a popular brand. A gently used Samsung Galaxy Tab will be fine for you. You should be able to find a good, used tablet, in pristine condition, on www.swappa.com

Upvote 0
As someone that bought a Kindle Fire HD8 (8, not the 7) to replace an aging Nexus 7 I can say I am very happy. About 10 minutes out of the box I had all of Play services installed and had my complete Play / Amazon library of apps, movies, books, etc. ready to install. I was happy enough with the HD8 that I replaced my sons N7 with one a few weeks ago.

I specify the HD8 because it comes with 32GB of storage vs. 8GB for the 7. Both are expandable via SD card. I have a 64GB in mine (I think).

One cool thing is Amazon seemlessly caches movies and episodes of shows in your free space so should you find yourself unexpectedly out of connection you will still have something to watch. I was pleasantly surprised on a camping trip (in the rain) to find 13 Hours available to watch even though I hadn't set anything up. Mind you, you need to have Prime to get Prime movies and TV.

I got both of mine during Amazon deals for about $90 apiece.

Reactions: lunatic59
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones