• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Cant make/recieve calls, but 3G works?

crippsy_99

Jan 1, 2011
UK
I just bought a 2nd hand s3 mini off someone as needed a new, cheap phone as a backup mainly..
I put my sim card in from my old phone. Factory reset the phone as the previous owner hadnt wiped it themselves and had left the screen lock on it.
I have not yet re-set up any accounts such as google myself, as wanted to get it running first.

3G/Data works fine on it and downloads or lets me online. However when I try and make any calls, it instantly tells me call ended. Sending texts refuse to send or recieve. Trying to call IN from another phone, just goes straight to voicemail as if the phone is turned off.
Had a look around the phone settings, APN seems fine (and indeed should be as im getting a data connection), but when I go to call settings and additional settings, I do get 'network or sim card error'.
Just to see if the SIM had a problem, I put it back into my old phone, where it works fine again, so has to be the handset!

Any ideas?! Im on o2 pay as you go in the UK. Ive requested a micro sim from them, even though I dont think it'll work as the phone is mini-sim..
Cant find any call settings on their website, only settings for data and mms.
Ive also checked the IMEI on two websites, and the phone isnt locked (or id have thought data wouldnt work either?)

Im completely stumped at what the problem could be!
Would buying a new sim for 99p and then doing a sim swap maybe solve the problem?

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones