• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Casting, while not muting the headphone output?

Hi folks!
so I'm wiring up audio in my home on the cheap. I have two tuners on two floors, with one chromecast. I will be adding another chromecast on the the other tuner at some point once I pick a tv, but for now to accomplish whole home audio I want to cast to the one chromecast, but also plug in using the headphone jack to the other tuner. problem is, once I'm casting, the headphone output is muted. is there any way to disable this?

the other reason I want to do this, is the future tv is going to be for the home theater, which I don't use much, so I really don't want to leave all the tv's on just for music, which I use almost every day, nor do I want to buy an hdmi audio extractor with a chromecast. it seems like there should be a way to configure this so I don't have to buy a ton of extra hardware and spend money when I shouldn't need to.

the other non tech way to accomplish this is interconnect the two tuners via an optical cable, but then that comes to more wires to fish through walls, which I'll do If I have to, but in a 100 year old home isn't the easiest task either...

I remember about 3 years ago cracking my head at this trying to get audio to headphones while casting to my chromecast to no success. I still don't think it's possible.

What most folks recommended was to use an "hdmi audio extractor" which you're already aware of. This is probably your best bet.

There's an app that claims it can do this, but the problem is that it's only for local video files. Will not work on streaming services.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.stefanpledl.localcast&hl=en

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
As it sounds like your in the process of building up a home sound system and that Google has discontinued the Chromecast Audio I don't know if that's the best option for you at this point. Physical wires are still more reliable and consistent than WiFi so a long-term solution might be to go through the hassle of running cables, or focus on some other wireless smart speaker service.
https://www.androidcentral.com/chromecast-audio-being-discontinued

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones