• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Category descriptions need updates

The_Chief

Accept no imitations!
    Nov 17, 2009
    Manchester, Tennessee
    Wow, does the main page need work.

Descriptions of the categories are almost archaic... take Wearables, for example:

"Our Android Wear forum is the place to discuss all types of Android wearables, from sleek Android smartwatches, to Google Glass, to fitness accessories and the latest wearable trends. Google was first to truly innovate in this emerging market and Android Forums is the place to follow its every move."

Android Wear has been Wear OS for a long time - and Google Glass was abandoned before that!

As a copywriter, I'll be happy to help revise or rewrite these. Just let me know what I can do to help.

:)

Reactions: Rob and treb1797
    Upvote 0
    As my OP indicated, @treb1797 , I am a WRITER. My services offered are copywriting and editing... I'm a one-woman gigolo now and yep: she & I still swap spit after 36 years
    ;)
    pittsburgh pirates GIF by MLB

Upvote 0
    When the dev disappeared I had more to do than I could handle. Used ChatGPT to build the Wordpress site myself and I know diddly about developing. You'll notice most of the actual content is placeholders but the *system* is mostly built.

So yeah, the forum stuff got put 100% hold, because, well... I thought we'd have Channels back. Which we don't. And we may never. I held out hope on the developer but they let me down :(

I will spend some time revamping the forum but flipped the switch from making the default tab "HOT" to making it "Forum List" to give people some sort of semblance about the purpose of the forum. I've got a busy couple days ahead but I will be working on making these changes very soon!

Upvote 0
    I did a bit of work on the Forum list this AM:
    • "Welcome to the Club!" is now at the top and includes Announcements, Introductions, etc...
    • Apps & Software moved to the top of "Tech Products"
    • Description for Tech Products updated to remove archaic references
    • Digital Services category created to house AI Forums, Carriers, and potentially new forums like "Streaming" etc...
    • Developer Forums consolidated (right now only Android Development)
    • Sports Talk moved into Entertainment Center
    Later today, I'm hoping to convert "Tech Brands" into Thread Prefixes, apply prefixes to the relevant "Tech Brand" forums, and move them into corresponding Tech Product forums. I'll then delete these separate forums and we'll use thread prefixes to delineate manufacturers and brands.

I'm aware there's a duplicate "Tech Forums" & "Tech News" that need to be consolidated with "Breaking News" but I'm debating how best to do this. The "Forum Type" and "Thread Types" are in conflict with eachother so not 100% sure how best to proceed and which version to keep/ditch. #XenforoProblems.

Let me know what you think!

Reactions: The_Chief
    Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones