• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help change "owner" user account

killxswitch

Aug 23, 2012
Hi folks. Just bought my wife a N7. I performed the initial setup myself to configure a few things, but now I'd like to transfer the ownership of the device to her user account and delete the initial account. Or, failling that, get rid of the owner account's association with my Google account and change it to hers. I've done a fair bit of searching and cannot find the answer. Anyone know how to do this?

Reactions: shepski01
Hi folks. Just bought my wife a N7. I performed the initial setup myself to configure a few things, but now I'd like to transfer the ownership of the device to her user account and delete the initial account. Or, failling that, get rid of the owner account's association with my Google account and change it to hers. I've done a fair bit of searching and cannot find the answer. Anyone know how to do this?

Go into accounts, delete your Google user account and add hers instead.

Upvote 0
I the first user (owner) created new user for my wife. I was able to setup Whatsapp on my login, but not in my wife's. It seems to have something to do with receiving SMS during whatsapp setup.
When I send SMS from a phone to this nexus7 sim number, I get it only on my login. I assume it has to do with who is the owner-user. Can I change my wife's login as the owner? And how, without of course starting from the beginning?

Upvote 0
Well, crap, I was given a Motorola G7 Supra from my friend Julio, can't I just change the username on the account and delete the data instead and sign out of his accounts
why not? just go into settings>backup and reset>factory data reset>reset device that's on my z fold 4 so it might be different on your phone. you can also do a search within settings for factory reset. this wipe data and everything on the phone. you can then enter your own account info after it reboots.

Upvote 0
why not? just go into settings>backup and reset>factory data reset>reset device that's on my z fold 4 so it might be different on your phone. you can also do a search within settings for factory reset. this wipe data and everything on the phone. you can then enter your own account info after it reboots.
How do I view my Wi-Fi password from my phone without rooting

Upvote 0
How do I view my Wi-Fi password from my phone without rooting
you can't. its encrypted for a reason. most wifi routers will have that info on the labels. now if you changed it, than that is a different story. you might be able to reset your wifi router and change the password that way. but on the phone, i doubt you will be able to get that kind of info.

Upvote 0
you can't. its encrypted for a reason. most wifi routers will have that info on the labels. now if you changed it, than that is a different story. you might be able to reset your wifi router and change the password that way. but on the phone, i doubt you will be able to get that kind of info.
I'll have to change the username on the account labeled Owner to my own then sign out of all accounts except mine

Upvote 0
I'll have to change the username on the account labeled Owner to my own then sign out of all accounts except mine
no you do not have to. just do a factory reset from the device settings. once it reboots it will ask to enter an email and its password. just enter your google account info and your in.

the only time you need the original google account info is if frp (factory reset protection) was tripped by doing a hard reset. this is done by doing a combination of power+volume buttons.

if a hard reset has not been done, and you can get passed the lockscreen, you can just go into settings and do a factory reset. this does not trip frp and you can then enter your own account info. there is no need to switch accounts and the owner label.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones