• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Changing android box, Vankyo, from PAL to NTSC?

psongman

Lurker
Mar 9, 2018
Hi ,forumites, hope you can help me, just got my android box and when I hook it up to my older CRT TV, it boots up OK< but I have that dreaded rolling black and white screen. I took it into the living room and hooked it up via HDMI and was able to go to display area and drop it down to 480 ( oh, it was in Spanish, what a hassle, had to to the Spanglish shuffle), anyway, took it back into kitchen, still rolling.

So, can someone please help me with a tried and true method to get it over to NTSC from PAL< which I beleive is causing the problem, right, well, will await your expertise, as I have learned to be a bit patient, when I am sure this has happened to others, Thanks for listening, hope you can assist me, RD

Well, I took it back in to the kitchen and it still kept rolling , brought it back into living room, said 480 but nothing about NTSC, see, that is what is needed, but there is no PAL to NTSC area. Thanks for helping though, maybe we can work it out, perhaps play Beatles song while trying, eheh, RD

Upvote 0
I understand what you are implying, but there is no 576, it is just a display area on my android box, that allows you to set it to, l ike 1080. down to 720 and the very last setting is on bottom, that is the 480 one, like I said, nothing about being NTSC, OK. I can't believe they don't have a way to switch it to NTSC, very strange, almost every set in U.S. is NTSC not PAL, hmmmm????

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
I understand what you are implying, but there is no 576, it is just a display area on my android box, that allows you to set it to, l ike 1080. down to 720 and the very last setting is on bottom, that is the 480 one, like I said, nothing about being NTSC, OK. I can't believe they don't have a way to switch it to NTSC, very strange, almost every set in U.S. is NTSC not PAL, hmmmm????

Sounds like that setting is for the HDMI, because the analogue composite RCA plug output wouldn't usually be 1080 or 720.

The Vankyo is sold in North America, so it should do 480 NTSC video. Some Android boxes sold directly from China can be 576 PAL only.

Suggest you contact their support about it. See if they have any ideas.
https://www.ivankyo.com/pc-android-tv-box.html

Reactions: svim
Upvote 0
I just had another look at this Vankyo. Is this company actually in the US? Like the first line of their EULA is "You agree that the laws of People's Republic of China..."

I'm in the PRC, and it is a PAL standard country. I know some of these Chinese Android boxes are PAL only. And most users do use them via HDMI, where analogue colour standards don't matter.

Reactions: svim
Upvote 0
This posting has some relevant info on resetting an Android set top box to NTSC:
https://forums.androidcentral.com/a...-tv-box-av-port-reset-procedure-pal-ntsc.html
Also, try doing a complete reset if there's a physical reset button on the back of your Vankyo (might be a tiny, extended physical button you press on, or more often there's just a pin-hole opening that you need to use a paperclip or toothpick to press the button).

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
Well, Ivankyo support finally got back to me. I don't think they understand the problem or the no place to get from PAL to NTSC situation .I want to thank all of you for helping me out. I did have someone tell me, they think it can be done but you have to work with the rolling black and white screen. I f you get any more ideas, please reply, thanks again!

Upvote 0
Well, Ivankyo support finally got back to me. I don't think they understand the problem or the no place to get from PAL to NTSC situation .I want to thank all of you for helping me out. I did have someone tell me, they think it can be done but you have to work with the rolling black and white screen. I f you get any more ideas, please reply, thanks again!

If you can adjust the TV's vertical hold control, that should stop it rolling so you can see what's going on. Some TVs might have the vertical hold knob on the rear, or it maybe an internal control

Reactions: michealmickel059
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones