• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Chrome Browser Jams Up on WiFi

IHateMyTreo

Android Expert
  • Apr 22, 2010
    Whistler BC and Los Angeles
    Need help with this one...

When on Wifi, the stock Chrome browser will load or refresh only about 10% (judging from the blue progress bar) and then stall for 10 seconds or sometimes indefinitely. If I turn off Wifi and rely on data, BANG it loads the page immediately.

I reset the home router and changed channels with no effect. Then tested it elsewhere and discovered that this happens on ANY Wifi connection, home or away.

Anyone else have this? Any ideas for a fix?

TIA

Need help with this one...

When on Wifi, the stock Chrome browser will load or refresh only about 10% (judging from the blue progress bar) and then stall for 10 seconds or sometimes indefinitely. If I turn off Wifi and rely on data, BANG it loads the page immediately.

I reset the home router and changed channels with no effect. Then tested it elsewhere and discovered that this happens on ANY Wifi connection, home or away.

Anyone else have this? Any ideas for a fix?

TIA
    Just temporary fixes,clearing the recents & closing all the other tabs in Chrome seem to speed it up a bit.

I was thinking it was a hardware/firmware limitation,but,you're on to something I believe,as other items on the phone work quite well w/o closing apps/cache/rebooting/etc......
    I'm gonna freeze Chrome & use a different browser (HTC's &/or something else,undecided for now what that will be.)

Reactions: IHateMyTreo
    Upvote 0
    Just temporary fixes,clearing the recents & closing all the other tabs in Chrome seem to speed it up a bit.

I was thinking it was a hardware/firmware limitation,but,you're on to something I believe,as other items on the phone work quite well w/o closing apps/cache/rebooting/etc......
    I'm gonna freeze Chrome & use a different browser (HTC's &/or something else,undecided for now what that will be.)
    Great idea Kolio. I am going to try another browser and see what happens.

EDIT: No delay with Dolphin. This may be a Chrome issue, but why it doesn't play well with wifi is a mystery.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0
    If what Kolio suggested doesn't work out, have you tried installing a different browser and seeing if it also has the same problem with loading up pages via WiFi? Also, do you see the same problem using something like the Google Play app as far as WiFi vs cellular? Just wondering if your problem is tied just to a glitchy problem with Chrome or your phone's WiFi.

Reactions: IHateMyTreo
    Upvote 0
    Who (what company) is your WiFi service provider?
    If it's Comcast/XFinity ... you might find your answer in disabling "IPv6" in your modem.

It worked for me.
    Thanks, I saw that in your thread and checked. ISP is Charter and IPv6 is already disabled.

Proximity sensor is not working all of a sudden, so time to try an FDR while things are quiet.

Upvote 0
    Thanks, I saw that in your thread and checked. ISP is Charter and IPv6 is already disabled.

Proximity sensor is not working all of a sudden, so time to try an FDR while things are quiet.

Shame that didn't work.

Once I disabled IPv6 in my modem and on every device, everything WiFi in my house and office got much better ... like it was several weeks before the IPv6 was implimented.

Good luck with a solution.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones