• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
What are your thoughts on Chrome OS and Chromebooks? And do you use Chrome OS yourself?
They seem pretty cool to me, with that simplicity and speed they offer. They're like the perfect companions for anyone who wants to do their thing online without any hassle. By the way, do you use Chrome OS yourself? I've heard lots of people loving it for its smooth vibes and cloud-based magic! :unsure:

Upvote 0
The Q4OS Linux Distro is pretty much instant as well and doesn't depend on Google keeping everything working, and no dependence on any 'cloud' (Clouds are for rain). I think right now with YouTube in one browser, this and a few Reddit tabs in another, Amarok (Music player) running, two file browsers, Kmail (Email client) and Konquerer (web browser) also going, I'm not even using 1GB of the 8GB of RAM this system has. The fan isn't even going.

Upvote 0
By the way, do you use Chrome OS yourself? I've heard lots of people loving it for its smooth vibes and cloud-based magic!
My tablet does use Chrome OS (or rather, Chromium OS). But as I've said: I don't use Chrome OS as Chrome OS. I don't do that cloud stuff that Chrome OS is known for. I use Chrome OS as Android, that is, I use it for running Android apps and all.

Upvote 0
I've just gotten a Samsung 14" Chromebook as a gift for switching to Verizon 5G Home internet service, so I'm giving it a test drive. First impression is that it's kind of a hackneyed smartphone living inside a limited laptop. Like Nick said above, it isn't very customizable and that irks me a bit since I have converted a bunch of my old laptops to various Linux distros and each can be customized for my preferences.
Also, I've tried adding some Android apps that I use on my S10+ (yeah it's old...) and the experience is meh. I suppose I'll keep it around for web browsing and gmail, perhaps it will be good as a loaner when I have guest who want to check their email when staying over at my house.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
It this computer a tablet-laptop hybrid? That is: Is this both a tablet computer and a laptop computer?
It's a ChromeOS laptop, not even touch screen and not a 2-in1 that flips the display over flat on the backside of the keyboard. Not a tablet in any mode.
Although I found the USB-C ports function as Displayport when I plugged it in to my Dell dock; it immediately lit up the 24" monitor and my Logitech keyboard & mouse combo seamlessly worked, no settings to set although I did go into Settings just to see if there are any options to try.

Upvote 0
It's a ChromeOS laptop, not even touch screen
Then there's not much point in doing what I do with my Chromebook, and treating it as an Android tablet. You may as well give this Chrombebook a shot (if you have the time), but I don't think you'll find it too useful. I think you're just not the target audience for Chromebooks.
I suppose I'll keep it around for web browsing and gmail
It sounds like you have a lot of laptops already. Why not just use one of those for web-browsing and gmail?

Upvote 0
Then there's not much point in doing what I do with my Chromebook, and treating it as an Android tablet. You may as well give this Chrombebook a shot (if you have the time), but I don't think you'll find it too useful. I think you're just not the target audience for Chromebooks.

It sounds like you have a lot of laptops already. Why not just use one of those for web-browsing and gmail?
I'm a soon retiring compsci guy, 4 decades IT & software engineering, one of my primary hobbies is learning and understanding the myriad computing options to stay current on technology. Yes indeed, I have a lot of laptops and computers of various sorts, even a Raspberry now.

Mainly I do this because everyone I know calls me for help with their tech. I had not given Chromebook much thought until this opportunity to pick one up, and my brother-in-law says he likes using his, so gotta find out for myself.

Upvote 0
I'm a soon retiring compsci guy, 4 decades IT & software engineering, one of my primary hobbies is learning and understanding the myriad computing options to stay current on technology. Yes indeed, I have a lot of laptops and computers of various sorts, even a Raspberry now.

Mainly I do this because everyone I know calls me for help with their tech. I had not given Chromebook much thought until this opportunity to pick one up, and my brother-in-law says he likes using his, so gotta find out for myself.
i like my pixelbook. its a good little computer. its different from windows. i mainly use it for surfing the web. watching youtube and movies. i do use google docs for work from time to time. i also have an asus zenbook that i use as well. i actually like the zenbook as it has a better keyboard.

Upvote 0
I still prefer my Linux. No updates to break my flow or rearrange the cheese, every app in skeuomorphic form, everything 'just works' in that I can click on any app icon and it opens and does what I ask it to do. That's in my mind computing zen and I intend on it remaining that way forever.

one side benefit is that untar-ing Chromium doesn't allow it to self-update, on Windows it would always want to be updated and would often do so if restarted. I have been burned so much by updates in the past that I don't believe in them any longer. I just want my stuff to remain the way I've become accustomed to being. Rule number one is don't move my cheese.

ChromeOS doesn't give the user a choice about updates. Sure, if you never restart you can avoid it, but eventually restarting becomes necessary.

Reactions: cwcheese
Upvote 0
In other words: Using the Chromebook for e-mail and browsing is a means to an end, that end being learning about Chromebooks so you can help folks with thier Chromebook.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones