• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Completely genius... Blok phone concept.

im 100% behind the easily replaceable screen part, but i dont see this ever coming close to happening.

what would samsung, et al. do if they didnt have to push out a new "super phone" every few months?

Well sell parts naturally. Unfortunately I can see that being like the auto parts industry in that I could buy an entire car woth of parts to assemble myself, but spend more on the parts than the car costs to buy.

It would be fun to see though...

Upvote 0
Get idea but...

I think the backbone and connection pins would be a big issue. The data intensive blocks would need many connections to keep speed high..data throughput would be a bottleneck

To solve the sharp square corners..the edge of the phone can be framed with a rounded frame..parts could be square

Upvote 0
Pardon me necromancing a thread...

I remember a William Gibson novel, where one of the characters had a computer called a "Sandbender". The concept was that the case, keyboard, etc was the big investment (including semi-precious stone keys), and all the guts were made to be universal. Kinda looking at the same concept here, methinks: several case manufacturers would make cases to fit the different sizes of "Blokphone", with component manufacturers standardizing the pins and such (similar to how we've standardized the charger plug on micro USB). Initial investment would be higher than a typical "flagship phone", but would work out cheaper in the long run... assuming the component price was somehow kept reasonable. Think about it: spend $500 on a phone that only needs $150 in upgrades over 10 years, or spend $150 every 2 years for the new phone?

The only real hurdle I see to dev is the big companies (Samsung, Apple) fighting it. And I don't ever see it catching on mainstream, but rather a niche market

Personally, I would LOVE it

Upvote 0
I'll admit that I was one of the early naysayers. It was a cool idea, but I didn't honestly think that it would ever come to fruition.

I am so glad that I was wrong. This is very exciting to see the project reaching this point!

Took the words right out of my mouth.

I thought that FCC approval on unspecified configurations would be impossible but they don't seem concerned about that.

I think that it's possible that a 4.7" screen is my sweet spot. I don't care about bigger screens or tiny bezels, but I do care about the rest of the package.

No flagships are launching with what is now considered that small of a screen.

And another thing - while 1080p looks fabulous - for what I do on 4.7", so does 720p.

And fewer dots means less power consumption.

That could go to a better processor than what I have. And more ram. And... :)

Who knows - maybe someone will make a capacitive buttons module and I'll really be happy. Looks like a qwerty keyboard is already considered possible.

Great as glass typing goes - landscape with qwerty = seriously usable screen real estate.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones