• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Connecting to secured WiFi is now Grayed out?

Hello.

I have the following: Straight Talk (Tracfone); Model A521L; Android version 4.4.4

Up until recently, I could select WiFi, and if it was secured, like at my home, I could tap it, enter the passcode, and tap connect, and voila. Now, recently, all I can connect to are open wifi's. If I try to connect to secured ones, the Connect option is Grayed Out.

This is recent, and I'm not sure if it's because I canceled a Google update (all updates appear to now have been done), or if it's a recent app...the only app I can think of that's recent is TextNow, an app that lets me text and call from my mobile, which I use in situations when I don't want to give out my personal number. It may also be a browser app, but I don't think I had the problems...everything's downloaded form Google Play, no odd 3rd party sites.

I've also attempted to reset the cell a few times, with no avail. I'd really prefer not to have to try to "reset to factory settings," if possible...

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones