• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Connection error with Galaxy s2 Epic Touch

QubiQ

Lurker
May 24, 2014
Texas
I purchased a used GS2 and registered it on Ting with no problems. But I haven't been able to complete activation -- any attempt to activate, update profile, update PRL, SCRTN, etc. comes back with the error "Connection Error" (no error number).

I assume this is caused either by not reaching the Sprint network, or faulty configuration. Anybody know if that's correct?

The phone appears to have been rooted/modded at some point, as the MSL was set to 000000. Also, when I first got it it would indicate roaming even when a block away from a Sprint tower with clear line of sight. That suggested to me that it had a bad or modified PRL file, so I installed a Sprint PRL (53401), and it no longer indicates roaming. I also installed a stock Sprint (GB27) rom, and did a factory reset, among other things

To help me figure out if it is an authentication or network configuration issue, can anyone tell me exactly what settings are required to make a network connection and complete a profile update/activation? I assume it needs the MSID and MDN ... but what else? Username? [If so, what is the proper value before the "@" -- phone number, MEID, first/last name?] HA and/or AAA password? Any of the various IP settings?

Status display says Sprint network, EvDo-rev.A:8, in service, not roaming, correct MIN and phone# -- that all seems right to me.

I've been working on this for a week, and am about ready to return it.

The phone appears to have been rooted/modded at some point
...I also installed a stock Sprint (GB27) rom

This is most likely the problem - on their forums Ting has said you need a stock ROM when you first activate a phone. Some people have reported issues activating a phone after returning it to stock while others have successfully activated, it might vary by device and the modifications made.

It could also be that you're not within Sprint coverage - to activate you must be connected to a Sprint tower, you can not be roaming.

Username: before the @ is your 10 digit phone number. I'm not sure about the other settings, sorry.

After your phone successfully activates it will be listed as "active" here:
https://ting.com/account/devices

They have a forum for users to discuss hacks/modifications, you could see if other users there know:
https://help.ting.com/forums/20464296-Hacks

You can also submit a help request to Ting and see if they can get it working:
https://help.ting.com/tickets/new

Upvote 0
Thanks for the response.

I did contact Ting support. They said they couldn't provide support for a phone that had been rooted, and suggested I could try a stock rom but would be on my own about that.

The phone does appear on the account devices page, and says it is active. I don't think that page indicated phone activation -- just that they have successfully entered it into their system and are ready to provide service to it.. But at my end, I am unable to complete a profile update or OTA activation to actually provision the phone with my account information.

I've looked through Ting forums, but haven't posted there yet. I suppose I'll try that too.

As for being on a Sprint tower ... it's hard to say. Under About Device\Status at the moment it says network=Sprint, mobile network type = EvDo, service state - In service, roaming = Not roaming, and Mobile network state = Disconnected.

When it had what I suspect was a bad PRL I looked up local Sprint towers and drove to them. Signal strength improved, but it still indicated roaming. After updating to a Sprint PRL it no longer indicates roaming, so as far as I can tell it is Sprint I am connected to. I've tried it with voice and data roaming turned off, and voice roaming only; and with roaming preference set to Sprint-only.

I do get much weaker signal than I expected from the coverage maps. I'll try driving south a couple of miles (towers I can identify are 5-7 miles away).

Upvote 0
Thanks for the response.

I did contact Ting support. They said they couldn't provide support for a phone that had been rooted, and suggested I could try a stock rom but would be on my own about that.

The phone does appear on the account devices page, and says it is active. I don't think that page indicated phone activation -- just that they have successfully entered it into their system and are ready to provide service to it.. But at my end, I am unable to complete a profile update or OTA activation to actually provision the phone with my account information.

I've looked through Ting forums, but haven't posted there yet. I suppose I'll try that too.

As for being on a Sprint tower ... it's hard to say. Under About Device\Status at the moment it says network=Sprint, mobile network type = EvDo, service state - In service, roaming = Not roaming, and Mobile network state = Disconnected.

When it had what I suspect was a bad PRL I looked up local Sprint towers and drove to them. Signal strength improved, but it still indicated roaming. After updating to a Sprint PRL it no longer indicates roaming, so as far as I can tell it is Sprint I am connected to. I've tried it with voice and data roaming turned off, and voice roaming only; and with roaming preference set to Sprint-only.

I do get much weaker signal than I expected from the coverage maps. I'll try driving south a couple of miles (towers I can identify are 5-7 miles away).

I had issues with a phone too. I restored to Stock using a one click method and was able to get things going. From there I was able to restore my backup of the custom ROM I had and everthing has be awesome sence.

Upvote 0
I agree with dsmryder I had to restore two of my phones to stock just to get them back online. It can be a real pain but persistence is key. I know one of my phones I had to actually do some real work to get it back online, and let me tell you it wasn't fun well ok it was kind of fun....haha. First thing I would try is the stock sprint rom. If that doesn't yield anything then it gets fun. Report back and we will see if we can help you through it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones