• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Corporate Discounts Gone

la sal

Android Expert
Feb 19, 2011
Waukesha, WI
T-Mobile is killing off employer discounts starting tomorrow

I have an 18% corporate discount from the company I work for. Took T-Mobile's ETF offer and ported from Verizon. I do not regret porting from Verizon due to only getting 2GB of data with unlimited texts/calls for around $95 (with corporate discount applied).

I do have two lines on Sprint and they finally have 4GLTE after over three years of failed efforts to provide 4G. Sprint's call reception still needs a lot of work but T-Mobile's recent actions have me reconsidering: increasing unlimited data plan $10 per month and dropping corporate discounts.

That is only one line so I can only imagine how it affects those with several lines. Comments?

Reactions: tube517 and KOLIO
Just one line here.Naturally, not happy w/the price increase(s). I do believe those on the previous $70/mo unlimited + 2.5 GB/mo. tethering are grandfathered in & won't be effected.

Whether this is correct or not, I'll verify & post links later if needed. Either way, it's not a contract, so, there's nothing preventing T-Mobile from making changes to their pricing schedule. As some have posted/voiced, this was the true motive from separating the device payment from the service payment.

Well played T-Mobile, the paint is barely dry on the UNCARRIER signage & un-UNCARRIER emerges.

Playing Devil's Advocate & seeing where T-Mobile is coming from, I like the simplicity of the no discounts, everyone pays the same rate, true democracy. Should this hold up, I'll lose my 17% discount,which of course I'm not happy about.

The discount removal won't take effect for a few months, so, it gives everyone time to look around & find that, if you're on unlimited, you're not gonna find a better deal, even w/o an employer discount. Again, well played T-Mobile.

IMHO,the best alternative to similar service (unlimited) @ a significant savings would be METRO PCS. At $60/mo total out-the-door/tax & fees included, & bringing your T-Mobile phone to the game, is looking like an option for myself.

Reactions: la sal
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Government and Military discounts will not be affected. I'm classified as government in T-Mobile's eyes since I work at a public library. So hopefully my 15% discount stays.

edit: and I just called 611 to talk with someone. looks like state government (which is what I am) is going away. only federal government and military are sticking around.

Upvote 0
We are getting a 15% discount right now and will be out around $300 per year. Not happy. John Legere is claiming on Twitter that you have to keep the competition on their toes and hit them when/where they least expect it, but that effects the customer the same way. April 25th is the cutoff date for those who already have a discount. Not exactly a lot of time for people to budget. Customers like stability not random changes made to trick the comepetition and not benefit the customer.

Anyway, I'm just glad they are spending my money to send multiple text messages telling me I can download a free Shakira song. #Uncarrier

Upvote 0
If you use a lot of data, then T-Mobile is still cheaper compared to VZW or ATT even after the discount.

Lets show some love for T-Mobile. It is still cheaper compare to other major carriers.

How do they confirm you work for the govt? Just as long you have a .gov email? Do they check this once a year?

Upvote 0
Nice to hear they are reversing their decision on current customers. I'm okay with them eventually getting rid of my employer discount if they give plenty of warning instead of just springing it on us (gave us less than a month).

Also, if they want to get rid of employer discounts in the sake of fairness and "transparency" I want to see identical deals between T-Mobile stores and their Web site. The best deals are always online. Don't know how much the device manufacturers play into the online deals, but that needs to be fixed.

Upvote 0
Called 611 again and talked with a representative. Accounts with the discount will get to keep it. New accounts will not be able to sign up for it. She gave me the history behind the decisions also which I won't bore you all with. But the biggest thing is that adding lines to your account will not affect your discount meaning you will get the discount applied to the new line(s) after you sign up. It only affects new customers.

Upvote 0
New customers will not be able to apply discounts to their account. Existing customers will keep theirs. Adding a new line does not disqualify you from using your discount either.

Called 611 again and talked with a representative. Accounts with the discount will get to keep it. New accounts will not be able to sign up for it. She gave me the history behind the decisions also which I won't bore you all with. But the biggest thing is that adding lines to your account will not affect your discount meaning you will get the discount applied to the new line(s) after you sign up. It only affects new customers.

Probably should have read your post before I posted lol.

Upvote 0
If Tmobile take away corporate discount for new customers, can they take away free hotspot from users next time?

Right now with the unlimited, you get 5GB of free hotspot. Look at ATT and Verizon they charge for it.

T-Mobile is smart enough to offer it for free and say it's a perk because they know people who want to use it know how to get around not paying for it on Verizon and AT&T. So why not say it's a benefit to be on top of Verizon and AT&T.

Upvote 0
If Tmobile take away corporate discount for new customers, can they take away free hotspot from users next time?
Can they? Yes. Will they? Probably not. Around the same timeline that T-Mobile ended corporate discounts, they also increased data allotments for most of their postpaid plans and increased hotspot data for all of its postpaid plans.

Upvote 0
T-Mobile is smart enough to offer it for free and say it's a perk because they know people who want to use it know how to get around not paying for it on Verizon and AT&T. So why not say it's a benefit to be on top of Verizon and AT&T.

Do you mean get around using illegal tethering?

I never thought about hotspot until I got me a tablet recently.

Upvote 0
Do you mean get around using illegal tethering?

I never thought about hotspot until I got me a tablet recently.

Yes there are easy ways to get around not paying for it on AT&T and Verizon. So easy that they both try to block it with every major update and someone cracks it a couple days later.

T-Mobile knows people are doing this so they offer it included free with their plans. Now you can get around the max amount T-Mobile offers just as easily.

Upvote 0
Yes there are easy ways to get around not paying for it on AT&T and Verizon. So easy that they both try to block it with every major update and someone cracks it a couple days later.

T-Mobile knows people are doing this so they offer it included free with their plans. Now you can get around the max amount T-Mobile offers just as easily.

I see. I been doing the illegal hacking tethering stuff before. Its just that life is easy when they allow you to do it. With illegal stuff you live life on the run and have to do VPN and string agent on your computer browser.

Upvote 0
My previous bill from 2 months ago was $128.81 Now it is $110.95 with government discount.

That's 13.865% off. My math is right?

Discounts only apply to the phone plan. Not for taxes or any payments you make on buying the phones.

Only bad thing is that they check once a year I think on if you still have your job. I want to change jobs but know if I do, my bill goes up 15%

I'm in I.T. though so maybe I can create an email account that never expires and move myself to that in T-Mobile's eyes and then check it every so often.

Reactions: BRAINZ2013
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones