• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Cromebook to Ubuntu

Rgarner

Android Expert
May 9, 2017
Instructables has a short article on this. It involves using something called Crouton. Apparently that makes Ubuntu run side by side with Chrome. Ideally I would have only Ubuntu but I guess it's better than nothing. If I ever get Ubuntu on this thing, would it run the same as on a normal machine? I've seen some books on basic Ubuntu, hacks, etc. that might be helpful.

I believe it's Intel as that seems to be the lowest common denominator. The other guys are harder to get as I understand it. Since this thing is about as low end as it gets, I wouldn't be surprised.
well intel and amd make pretty low end chips like their celron chip....and the can go all the way up to the top with the i7 or i9.

so performance will be dictated by the chip. low end budget laptops and chromebooks.....never expect much.....but yes to your question. you might see a slight lag in performance with ubuntu on your chromebook, but i doubt it will be noticeable to you.

Reactions: Rgarner
Upvote 0
That's good to read. For what it's worth, it's a Samsung. At least the wireless mouse is working fine. I did a fake account but I don't know the password which is why I'm using my "own" computer as a guest. How do I disable that password crap? Nobody else will be unfortunate enough to use it.

Upvote 0
Since it's supposed to have been wiped, there shouldn't be anything to get destroyed and I won't have to back up anything (I hope). Probably the only thing I might lose is that useless password that I don't know. When Ubuntu asks for a password, it would have nothing to do with googoo, would it? It better not. Once I get that running, how do I kick googoo to the curb?

Upvote 0
I actually got to the part where it was supposedly setting up developer mode. Then it switched off and came back on as googoo. I went through it again but I can't force it back to dev. I used control d and enter with no luck, more than o
20221223_145735.jpg
20221223_145739.jpg
nce. I don't know if it'll help to post pictures, but here goes...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones