• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Daily.Net: Playground & Brainstorming!

Rob

Galaxy S20 Ultra
News Moderator
Administrator
    Mar 26, 2008
    androidforums.com
    Let the experiments begin!
    • Forum link to AF at the top right
    • Green "POSTS" button links to AF's "What's New"
    • Full List of Categories with Recent Posts
    Keep in mind this is a draft. The content is incomplete. This is a placeholder.

We'll want to correlate WordPress Taxonomies (Categories, Tags, etc) with Xenforo Forum Taxonomies (Nodes, Prefixes, Custom Thread Fields, etc), so the structure is important. It needs to be clear and concise yet comprehensive. I've been researching solutions and am currently exploring 2 options more closely.

More to come soon...

Upvote 0
    If we use Tags to improve our structure, we'll probably use this add-on:

Here are the 2 add-ons I'm consider to connect Wordpress (Home) with Xenforo (Forums):

I also love the idea of limiting users to 1 New Thread each day (given the "Daily" name) and an add-on already exists that seems to do just that:

Upvote 0
    i like the layout. but i'm not sure i like the post button. its to inconspicuous. i don'tknow what else it should say, but the link to here should be more obvious....yes?

and maybe link it to the general forum section:Android Forums

and as far as limiting the amount of posts and threads created would be fine. i am a VIP member, so i am excluded. but, what if i am new and have a bunch of different questions? limiting them might turn them off from here.....i think.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0
    i like the layout. but i'm not sure i like the post button
    What would be ideal? I just:
    • Moved the buttons below THE DAILY NET Header
    • Added more buttons
    • Made them black and white
    Now all the Wordpress links are at the top in black with ways to participate in the forums as the main actions/buttons.

I'm not sure if it'll stick, but just tried the following:
    • New would link to "What's New" on the forum
    • Post would initiate a "New Post" in a generic, revived "Ask A Question" forum
    • Link would have a URL input field to submit news/links
    • Share would allow user to add media directly to media gallery
    It's a bit much. Takes up a lot of screen. Hmm. Will switch gears and revisit.

Side note: I really like the idea of sharing more photos/videos centered around different communities. For example, since the pandemic, I've been more and more into houseplants. I'd also have fun posting local photos of things/places that I visit in my travels. You'll see there are "Local" sections for every US State and many cities- we'll have corresponding forums for each.

Reactions: AugieTN
    Upvote 0
    maybe instead of "post", use "forums"????

and i still like how our forums page is laid out:

the new format looks to bland to me.

Reactions: AugieTN
    Upvote 0
    Can you tell me what you like about the forum that you want to see preserved?
    i just like how it is organized. you can see the subforums. i like seeing the thread counts, the number of messages for each. who last posted there.......just some of the stats. it looks cool. it makes it seem like the forums are active. i can find who is online......things like that.

Upvote 0
    i just like how it is organized. you can see the subforums. i like seeing the thread counts, the number of messages for each. who last posted there.......just some of the stats. it looks cool. it makes it seem like the forums are active. i can find who is online......things like that.

To be clear, all of this will still be available, just a click away in a sub-domain or directory such as daily.net/forum. It's possible to show some of those cool things across the entire site but will need to install add-ons and possibly custom code to sync Xenforo and Wordpress.

Reactions: ocnbrze
    Upvote 0
    So who is actually responsible for updating the content on daily.net? Looks like it hasn't changed in weeks....
    Right now, Daily.net is mostly a placeholder. That being said, we don't have a writing team... so it'll be more of a homepage with resources than a traditional "breaking news" site.

The goal would be to:
    • Maintain an updated, structured list of permagreen content (ex: Best Android Phones) that rotates
    • Produce a limited amount of high quality editorial content
    • Highlight the best threads from the forum and encourage participation
    If we pull the trigger on a change, I'd be shooting for a Black Friday launch and try to schedule some "new content" starting January 1st. I'd love to collect a list of people interested in writing guest articles on any topic in our list of primary categories.

I've been flip-flopping immensely - like many of you, I'm nervous about venturing away from AndroidForums.com - but my latest idea would be:
    • AndroidForums.com becomes Daily.net with the forum on the home
    • The.Daily.Net becomes the "News" focused wordpress site
    I've also considered moving AF to BigScreens.com and focusing on Phones, Tablets, TVs, monitors, etc... instead of Android... but that alienates users in a different way (flip phones or other form factors) and gives us a new set of different challenges. I'm not against it, though, and might prefer it. Still plenty of time to decide.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones