• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

dell optiplex GX620 an upgrade... or downgrade

cammykool

Android Expert
Jun 18, 2011
Aurora CO
im thinking about using the GX620 my grandma gave me for helping her out and i was wondering if my video card and RAM would work on it and if it would even be worth it
imagesqtbnANd9GcThD0nY0Q61xykUfLMPx.jpg

Newegg.com - EVGA 512-P3-1300-LR GeForce 8400 GS 512MB 32-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Low Profile Video Card

and i have DDR2 RAM in my other PC

If you have the driver for the OS and the card has the same slot that's on the motherboard, then yes. You will be able to work this out.

As for ddr2 it depends. Read the label on the RAM that's in the machine. It must operate at the frequency that's on the sticker. You CAN go lower but don't expect great results. You CANNOT go higher.

Upvote 0
Google the desktop model to ascertain if it has pci express 2.0 x16

Google what RAM it takes. You can even search the dell website for ram specific to your machine then note the frequency of the Ram in mhz. Then compare that to the RAM in your other machine.

This is all easy to find out with a quick compare of both machines, one machine and Google or no machines and Google.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones