• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [DEV] Continuing Triumph ICS Development

mantera

Android Expert
May 21, 2011
In an effort to combine all of what we've done so far and to make it easier for anyone new to just jump in, I'm creating this new thread continued from the previous one and will try to keep it updated with whatever the latest code/fixes that we all come up with.

Rules:
Please do NOT ask questions on how to set up your environment here. Please use the CM7 or g60madman's guide.
Please use this thread only to discuss and help further along our ICS port on the Triumph.
Do NOT ask for an ETA.
Do NOT post any builds at this time if you are part of the team.
I will list credits in these posts to all who contribute fixes or code.

If you don't agree to these rules, please move along.

To begin, either use the CM7 thread
http://androidforums.com/triumph-al...ild-cyanogenmod7-source-development-area.html

or g60madman's guide
http://androidforums.com/triumph-al...uide-setting-up-your-android-environment.html

to set up your environment.

You can pull my repo by using the following command:

Code:
repo init -u [URL]https://github.com/mantera/android.git[/URL] -b ics

I also pushed up my kernel changes to my github if you want to try building that as well or improving that:

Code:
git clone git://github.com/mantera/triumph-kernel-msm7x30.git -b 2.6.32.9-chaos-ICS

in the 2.6.32.9-chaos-ICS branch. Any improvements are welcome.

NOTE: I have now added the proprietary blobs to my repo so you no longer need to pull them from your Motorola Triumph phone. The blobs will be in the correct location already so you can skip the part about "running the extract-files.sh script".

If you come up with any fixes, please either post it in this thread or send me a pull request on Github and I'll pull it into the repo so we can all be on the same page.

I will keep the first 3 posts of this thread updated as best as I can so we don't have to read through mega pages to get all of the info.

LINK for latest GAPPS thanks to several people providing the link:
http://goo-inside.me/gapps/gapps_ics_4.0.3_v11.zip

Miscellaneous info when needed:

As of right now

Works:
-It boots and some apps work...
-SDCard/USB mount - after first bootup, adb will not work until you reboot again.
-RIL - phone, sms - working (thanks yumbrad)
-RIL - data - (thanks yumbrad with contributions from progmanos and whyzor)
-WIFI - (yumbrad is the MAN!)
-hw acceleration
-Live wallpapers work now too.
-Screenshots work now.
-Audio - tested phone, music, ringtones, so far. All work.
-bluetooth - able to pair headset and gets audio during phone call.
-Home key - long press brings up Recent Apps dialog now.
-wired headset works.
-mms (progmanos)
-gps & navigation
-data usage accounting
-mic use in apps and google search
-wifi hotspot tethering

What doesn't work:
camera
hdmi
Everything else!

Kernel:
Now using Whyzor's latest touchscreen driver.

On the first boot, the screen and things may not work right. REBOOT and all of the stuff listed as WORKING will be good.

Upvote 0
Thanks for setting this up. I had an idea for setting up a wiki page documenting how to setup the build env (start with G60man's docs). That way people can make minor corrections going forward. You can create wikipages under the device_motorola_triumph repo on github.

That's not a bad idea. I'll have to look into that when I get a chance.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
From the xda-dev thread for the Huawei Ideos X6 ICS ROM, there's an app that is a temporary workaround for CM9 not supporting USB mounting right now:

[APP/Hack] USB Mass Storage for Ice Cream Sandwich [v.1.1.4 - 17.12.2011] - xda-developers

Yeah, I saw that. However, don't think that we have a problem with the USB mounting. I almost have it working.

The only problem left is that the SD Card is not being mounted/recognized by the ROM--it thinks the SD card is unmounted. Once that problem is worked out, then the USB mounting should work.

Reactions: bobloadmire
Upvote 0
From the xda-dev thread for the Huawei Ideos X6 ICS ROM, there's an app that is a temporary workaround for CM9 not supporting USB mounting right now:

[APP/Hack] USB Mass Storage for Ice Cream Sandwich [v.1.1.4 - 17.12.2011] - xda-developers

Also I put that in Mantera's ics zip and flashed it and it worked, well the sdcard didn't mount and on my laptop the mobile partition showed up nothing else so it was like it was in download mode, but still functional as a phone...

Upvote 0
Just wanna say thank you so much for picking up this project, guys... It is so appreciated by guys like me without the skills to do it myself. You ROCK!!!

dunno if thats relevant to the topic at hand.

this might be however.

I've reached out to devs working on ICS / CM9 roms for the HTC Thunderbolt and Droid Incredible 2 (both of which use the same CPU (MSM8655 Snapdragon) in hopes that they may have advice or tips to get certain things like the SD card working, hardware acceleration, and wifi. some of those things actually ARE working on the other phones.

if I get any useful, helpful replies I'll do my best to relay the info here in case they are too busy to come here and post. they are on another site entirely as it is.

@Whyzor, if I get that info first place it goes is here. as for now, my messages have been sent to them and I'm awaiting a reply. they are on the Rootzwiki forum and I cant find their work on AndroidForums so thats where the PMs were sent.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Well, I got it built and flashed, and it does indeed boot! Of course there are a lot of problems, but ... one at a time :)

An easy way to stop the repeated phone FC for now (not a phone fix):
adb pull /system/build.prop
comment out ro.telephony.ril_class=Triumph
adb push build.prop /system
..Next reboot and it shouldn't be FC looping.

I decided to look at the most common error in the logcat next ... the hwcomposer overlay problem (Bypass Overlay Commit failed). This would be part of why HW accel doesn't work. That led me to a failing ioctl. Taking a look at dmesg via adb shell, there were a bunch of unrecognized ioctl cmds coming in. Figured out the mismatch was in the sizeof(struct mdp_overlay). The msm_mdp.h included in the triumph device files is quite new - the one in the kernel is from motorola's sourceforge release. Interestingly, the .h is newer than the CAF msm-2.6.32 sources, so the motorola release is an ugly hybrid of 2.6.32 and CAF sources around 2.6.38. Unfortunately, a fair amount of gralloc / etc code fails to build if I copy the older msm_mdp.h from the kernel into the device includes.

Suggestions? The best path would seem to be bringing the necessary changes from the motorola tree into a 3.0 or at least 2.6.38 kernel. But ugh, there are a lot of changes and the kernel changed quite a bit from 2.6.32. I'm not sure how (if it does) edowar's ROM has HW accel working - he has the same mismatch in his device vs. kernel msm_mdp.h files.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones