• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

disc drive diagnostic tool

willsp28

Aug 18, 2019
hey guys i have a hard drive and a few flash drives I got from eBay that appear to be modded, so i want an app that can run a good diagnostic test to find errors then fix them, Also have a good format tool, perderably one that can restore it to its original state, since im using a android tv box otg Isn't a issue, I've done lots research and so far everything I have found either costs money or just doesn't do what I want, or possibly I don't know how to use it, there was one app that I think can format drives but my box doesn't like it so it just crashes im not at home but I know it says silkat tools or something like that

"appear to be modded", and from Ebay. I very much suspect they might be fake. If genuine, they should just work on your Android no problems.

FYI this was supposed to be a 2TB Seagate USB HDD, that came from Ebay and was shipped from China.
Screenshot_20190830_083754.jpg

A cheap modded USB thumb-drive, and a couple of masonry bolts to give the thing some weight....nice!

And of course there's no app can fix this.

Last edited:
Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
ok what I mean is that it works just not like it's supposed to, it holds 256 gigs but anything past 100 is corrupt after moving to it, so i want to do, is to Format it back to its default capacity, i also have a 16 gb drive but it completely stopped working and the write speed was terrible, so i suspect that was modded as well,

Upvote 0
ok what I mean is that it works just not like it's supposed to, it holds 256 gigs but anything past 100 is corrupt after moving to it, so i want to do, is to Format it back to its default capacity, i also have a 16 gb drive but it completely stopped working and the write speed was terrible, so i suspect that was modded as well,

Yeh, the controller chip has been modded/hacked to report a larger capacity than it really has. I'm pretty sure there isn't an app for Android that could format to its real capacity. Maybe it could be done with Linux on a PC using GParted partition management tool. But I certainly wouldn't trust the fake storage device for anything important.

In that fake Seagate HDD I posted, the controller chip was modded/hacked to report 2TB to the USB connected computer or device, but the USB thumb-drive in the thing was really only something like 16GB.

Last edited:
Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones