• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Does ATT block the hotspot feature?

Self Made

Aug 4, 2012
USA
I used to use hotspot on my old Nexus, and it's an important feature to me. When I got my new Moto X I got an ATT instead of an unlocked model, a mistake. I find that hotspot won't turn on. Does ATT block this? It gives me a message that it can't connect to the ATT network. If they block it, is there a workaround like an app?

Most AT&T branded phones will check for a qualified tethering/hotspot plan and refuse the connection if not found. I'm not sure is there is a way to work around that, but it would probably require root if there was one.. Even if you can get it to connect, they will be able to tell you are tethering and can add the plan ($$$) to your account according to the terms of service agreement you signed.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones