• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Does LG G6 have future proof specs?

Samsung pulled a fast one on the other Original Equipment Manufacturers. They reserved all of the Snapdragon 835 Processors through April 2017 forcing other OEMs to use the 2016 Snapdragon chipset on anything they release in the Spring of 2017. Not that that's a bad thing in itself. I've yet to run into any problems with lagging on any of my phones and I go back to the original G1. I guess it all depends on what you want to use your phone for Affanv.

Upvote 0
I think nothing will compete with the S8 "this time"
I'm no fanboy, plus have never splurged on a flagship- but I'm considering seriously.

I like LG...have had a ton of their models.
But to compete / future proof G6 needed newer processor(& supported new techs), bigger size, storage, removable battery, IR
As the S8 won't have a removable battery or IR those are debatable, and not everyone wants larger. Indeed LG will tell you that they chose the size of the G6 as a result of extensive market research.

I think the one lack of "future proofing" in the G6 is the 32GB storage (unless you are in Asia, which illustrates the stupidity of their strategy for this phone - we all know there are better versions which they think we don't want. I contacted them to tell them they cost themselves my custom with their regional strategy, just because I want them to know that these "local" decisions don't work these days).

People will say "it's got an old processor" but frankly that's not going to make any real difference to anyone but spec heads, and it remains to be seen how the s835 really performs (in real use, not benchmarks). Put it this way, I always buy flagships, and right now I'm considering buying one of last year's rather than bothering with this year's models. The truth is that we're pretty much at a plateau with these devices at the moment. The new screen format is the one interesting development this year, and I personally prefer flat to Samsung's curved edges (others may differ, but to me a flat screen works better, and that is what matters). That's why everyone is jumping on the "AI assistant" bandwagon this year, but if you want that then you can have the Google one on any recent device so I don't see that as a selling point for anyone (and Samsung adding a dedicated button for theirs would just annoy me - I'd have to root just to repurpose it ;)).

So personally I'd say that apart from being better with more storage it's actually as "future proof" as anything out there.

Will it be able to compete is a different question. Samsung's marketing budget (which includes incentives to promote their devices as well as simple adverts) exceeds some of their competitors' turnovers, so I doubt that anyone will compete on sales. But I don't see why anyone thinking of buying a phone should care about that: what matters is whether a particular phone appeals to you.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
As the S8 won't have a removable battery or IR those are debatable, and not everyone wants larger. Indeed LG will tell you that they chose the size of the G6 as a result of extensive market research.

I think the one lack of "future proofing" in the G6 is the 32GB storage (unless you are in Asia, which illustrates the stupidity of their strategy for this phone - we all know there are better versions which they think we don't want. I contacted them to tell them they cost themselves my custom with their regional strategy, just because I want them to know that these "local" decisions don't work these days).

Fortunately for me, I'm in Asia! :thumbsupdroid: Thing is here many, even budget devices now come with 32GB, and for mid-range it's often 64GB internal storage. For my own uses now, a phone with only 32GB would really be a deal-breaker and is certainly NOT flagship IMO, and is a lot more important to me than IR, or NFC, or removable battery, etc.

Reactions: horsecharles
Upvote 0
Samsung pulled a fast one on the other Original Equipment Manufacturers. They reserved all of the Snapdragon 835 Processors through April 2017 forcing other OEMs to use the 2016 Snapdragon chipset on anything they release in the Spring of 2017. Not that that's a bad thing in itself. I've yet to run into any problems with lagging on any of my phones and I go back to the original G1. I guess it all depends on what you want to use your phone for Affanv.

I suspect that would only be for the US, China and Japan market variants, because of the carrier CDMA/EVDO requirements in those countries. Probably everywhere else gets Samsung's own Exynos SoC in the S8. Which is basically the same as last year's S7 and Note7, which had Qualcomm Snapdragon for US, China and Japan, or Samsung Exynos for everywhere else.

Upvote 0
Yeah, Exynos-based S8s have apparently been spotted online, so it probably will be that story again. Which will be a pain as usual, since Samsung sometimes optimise better for the Exynos-based than the Snapdragon, but the Exynos is less good for custom ROMs (and US carrier models are locked-down hard, so the more root-friendly version is difficult to root in the first place).

Upvote 0

People will say "it's got an old processor" but frankly that's not going to make any real difference to anyone but spec heads, and it remains to be seen how the s835 really performs (in real use, not benchmarks). Put it this way, I always buy flagships, and right now I'm considering buying one of last year's rather than bothering with this year's models. The truth is that we're pretty much at a plateau with these devices at the moment. The new screen format is the one interesting development this year, and I personally prefer flat to Samsung's curved edges (others may differ, but to me a flat screen works better, and that is what matters). That's why everyone is jumping on the "AI assistant" bandwagon this year, but if you want that then you can have the Google one on any recent device so I don't see that as a selling point for anyone (and Samsung adding a dedicated button for theirs would just annoy me - I'd have to root just to repurpose it ;)).

So personally I'd say that apart from being better with more storage it's actually as "future proof" as anything out there.

Will it be able to compete is a different question. Samsung's marketing budget (which includes incentives to promote their devices as well as simple adverts) exceeds some of their competitors' turnovers, so I doubt that anyone will compete on sales. But I don't see why anyone thinking of buying a phone should care about that: what matters is whether a particular phone appeals to you.

Fortunately for me, I'm in Asia! :thumbsupdroid: Thing is here many, even budget devices now come with 32GB, and for mid-range it's often 64GB internal storage. For my own uses now, a phone with only 32GB would really be a deal-breaker and is certainly NOT flagship IMO, and is a lot more important to me than IR, or NFC, or removable battery, etc.
I believe they think that the larger the storage the less often the upgrade sales.
Scratch that...not think-- know: their data tells them so.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones