• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Dog killed my phone...

Should I get a New One or Refurb?

• Refurb

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • New Phone

Votes: 2 40.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SecondShot

Android Enthusiast
Mar 29, 2011
Washington DC
Well, i have had tremendous luck and love for my Tbolt and it all came to an end Saturday. I was working and had my phone plugged into my laptop via usb. My 120# lab did a couple of donuts around the room and caught a toe on the cord and my phone fell off the table. :eek:

Well, all looked ok :thinking: until i tried to plug the phone back in. Very sketchy data transfer/charging and created reboots... figured uh, ohhh...if I have to take this thing in, I better get unrooted fast. With Scotty's process, got unrooted and took the phone to VZ for an opinion. They said she's toast. Waaaahhhh!! Now, VZ is sending me a new phone --which is incredible customer service--so what will i get? A new phone or some hacked refirb that may arrive with a custom ROM on it? :rolleyes: Weigh in!

SS

PS While now unrooted, I did receive the GB update almost immediately after reloading stock ROM. I hate not being rooted, too many missing options/toys. Can't wait to get my ROMs back...

when my data stopped working,they sent me a refurb. my old one started working again before it got there,so i sent the refurb back and kept my old one since vzw is known for the "high quality" of their refurbs :eek:

make sure you check it out thouroghly before rooting as it may take 2 or 3 to get one that works right ;)

i know the feeling. sometimes i run stock to test things and it drives me nuts!

Upvote 0
I figured thats what you guys would say Y and S...well I will definitely check it over. I am fairly anal like that. In case you were wondering, the dog is still alive :D.

PS, for all the new or soon to be rooters, ADB is an important skill that you must become somewhat familiar with. It has saved me on more than one occasion. Just my 2cents. Make the investment to at least be able to follow ADB directions from an expert. Once again, it solved a problem for me in the nick of time.

SS

Upvote 0
I figured thats what you guys would say Y and S...well I will definitely check it over. I am fairly anal like that. In case you were wondering, the dog is still alive :D.

PS, for all the new or soon to be rooters, ADB is an important skill that you must become somewhat familiar with. It has saved me on more than one occasion. Just my 2cents. Make the investment to at least be able to follow ADB directions from an expert. Once again, it solved a problem for me in the nick of time.

SS

What ADB? ;)

Upvote 0
You have to remember many of the bolts that are referbs are people that complained about battery life and so on. My referb I got was perfect not one single scratch on it and was in better shape than my first bolt I got new. So its a hit or miss situation with referbs.

Upvote 0
I definitely received a refirb, but near as i can tell, its pretty damn perfect. I ran it on stock GB for 3 days cause I was travelling for biz and couldn't get my root on. Oh boy, how I missed my tweaks. Amazing how much I did over the last 5 months to my phone. On stock, its just not the same.

When I finally did root -- on the train back from Philly -- I had the devil of a time running revolutionary. Seems that HTC sync program is a bugger to get rid of. I had to remove it from my add/remove programs menu and then go back (after a lot of frustration) and delete the file from my programs folder. Normally when removing a program, you don't need to delete the actual folders. Once I did that, Revolutionary was a breeze.

Then, I figured hey, i will just wipe and install one of my backups. Guess what, the Revolutionary recovery won't let you restore CWM recovery backups so I had to flash a ROM, then flash Rom Manager, then CWM recovery. After that, smooth sailing.

Anyway, I am happily back in biz on my new phone. VZW treated me right too, by sending me a replacement no questions asked.

SS

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones