• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Emulator performance on Ouya

empire29

Lurker
May 31, 2014
I just bought a Fire TV and while I can sideload emulators no problem, they run fast and I cant find a way to throttle.

Originally I was leaning towards the Ouya, but FireTV's other capabilities and better specs caused me to pull the trigger w it. If I cannot find a resolution to my emu speed issues on the FireTV id entertain an Ouya if the emu play speeds are "true to console".

I am really only interested in Emus for: NES, SNES, Sega and MAME. Any consoles "above" these arent of real interest to me.

Thanks for the insight!

If you've tried CPU speed apps (make both the min and the max as slow as possible) about all you can do is run a few very CPU-intensive apps at the same time to cause the whole device to run slower. Of course that slows everything down, including phone calls, texts, etc.

To just slow an emulator, it would take rewriting the emulator. (The best way to write it, from the start, is to measure the time a certain set of instructions takes to execute, then base the speed of execution on that. For faster phones, throw in "do nothing" code. The faster the phone, the more do nothing code. I've written CPU emulators like that [even designed the hardware to throw in wait states when told to], but I've never seen a phone emulator, or even a game, do it. The solitaire game I run on my Note 3 used to run fine on slow (Eclair-era) phones, but on the Note 3, when you ask for a hint, you can barely see a flicker. And I don't like changing to a really slow ROM just to play Solitaire in a doctor's waiting room for 10 minutes.)

Upvote 0
Rukbat,

Thanks for the reply. Im not to android (FireTV is my first android device) and wasnt aware of the CPU speed throttling apps. Ill take a look. Like you say, this isnt optimal because it requires multiple toggles just to run an app, and then turn it back off when i want to use an app that may require more horsepower.

Im wondering if Ouya (which is "natively" slower than FireTV) would provide the speed decrease i need to run the emus at proper speeds.

Upvote 0
I don't get a ton of time to mess with my ouya, but I will try and run an emulator on it soon.

I haven't really bothered with an emulator on my ouya yet because my wii is already set up with nes snes, and n64 emulators.

I did however try a playstation emulator on my ouya and it worked just fine.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones