• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Facebook issues anyone?

Fuzzy13

Extreme Android User
Dec 8, 2011
A-T-L-A-N-T-A
I thought I had this fixed but I was wrong.

Facebook will not refresh on a data connection. Full Hspa and the news feed just says updating. But as soon as I cut on wifi, boom it refreshes. Turn off wifi, pull down to refresh and it just sits there updating forever and sometimes will say network error check your connection blah blah blah.

I've only talked to t mobile users at work and they are having the same issue so I'm not sure if it's limited to t mobile or not.

Anyone else having this issue? It's been going on for about 2 weeks that I've noticed. I'm pretty sure it's a network issue on their end because apps that pull from their network like friendcaster, also don't work but apps that pull from the browser work fine. But on wifi everything works just fine.

Any thoughts?

(Nexus 4 and note 2 are the phones having issues. And yes, all standard troubleshooting has been done multiple times.)

I'm not sure if I'm recommending this, probably just giving my personal input on Facebook app issues, which we see often and across many Android devices: I use my phone's web browser for all social networking sites, just the same as news sites and game sites, etc.

Same as my tab.

With these nice big fast processors and screens.. heck, I just can't see using apps that update and use services/resources in the background, etc. My phone and tab are both little mini computers now. :)

Many sites detect the mobile device approaching them, so they present the user with a special version of their pages.. I liked it when I first saw that happening a few years ago. But, imo, not needed that much now with (again ;)) these great new Android devices.

ymmv

Reactions: Fuzzy13
Upvote 0
I'm not sure if I'm recommending this, probably just giving my personal input on Facebook app issues, which we see often and across many Android devices: I use my phone's web browser for all social networking sites, just the same as news sites and game sites, etc.

Same as my tab.

With these nice big fast processors and screens.. heck, I just can't see using apps that update and use services/resources in the background, etc. My phone and tab are both little mini computers now. :)

Many sites detect the mobile device approaching them, so they present the user with a special version of their pages.. I liked it when I first saw that happening a few years ago. But, imo, not needed that much now with (again ;)) these great new Android devices.

ymmv

Yeah I've got to where I just add a bookmark to my main page so it's basically like launching an app.

The whole fb issue doesn't bother me that it's not working as there are many other options, it just bothers me cause I don't know why. Lol. Sounds dumb but I guess it's the ocd in me. It's just crazy that it won't work over data but works over wifi. How is that possible? Does the app know what connection your connecting with? After seeing the 3rd party apps that actually use the fb network and not the browser not work as well, I knew it for sure wasn't on my end. Also after trying older versions as far back as 6 months ago that weren't working either. It just erks me. Lol

I've never really had any issues with the app working until now and I thought it was just my phone until a couple people at work are having the same issue.

Upvote 0
The official FB app has gone downhill yet again. They did a major upgrade earlier in the year, then their recent updates have slowed it down. I currently use Atrium for Facebook and it is a little better. I also have been using FB in the browser alot more. Seems to work better than the app. I have used Friendcaster for Facebook before. I have no problems over data with Atrium loading my FB pages.

Upvote 0
The official FB app has gone downhill yet again. They did a major upgrade earlier in the year, then their recent updates have slowed it down. I currently use Atrium for Facebook and it is a little better. I also have been using FB in the browser alot more. Seems to work better than the app. I have used Friendcaster for Facebook before. I have no problems over data with Atrium loading my FB pages.

Interesting. Atrium is another that doesn't work as I assume it draws from their network and not the browser.

I thought for sure it was a t mobile issue.

So why in the world would only some people have issues updating the news feed over data and some not? Even reading the comments on the app, there's some people that describe the same issue yet some are loving it.

It would be one thing if it didn't work at all but only working on wifi just has me stumped. :/

Upvote 0
Interesting. Atrium is another that doesn't work as I assume it draws from their network and not the browser.

I thought for sure it was a t mobile issue.

So why in the world would only some people have issues updating the news feed over data and some not? Even reading the comments on the app, there's some people that describe the same issue yet some are loving it.

It would be one thing if it didn't work at all but only working on wifi just has me stumped. :/

Yeah, I'm not sure what's going on. That update they did this year to the Facebook app worked really well. I guess I should have just kept that version and not taken any other updates! I don't understand why they cannot get it right.:thinking:

Upvote 0
Yeah, I'm not sure what's going on. That update they did this year to the Facebook app worked really well. I guess I should have just kept that version and not taken any other updates! I don't understand why they cannot get it right.:thinking:

Yeah when the issue first started I went back and installed every version starting about 6 versions back and figured out it wasn't an actual app problem.

But it's working great so far this morning hopefully it will last. I'm positive it's a network issue on their end.

It just amazes me that the just popular app and social media company has had one of the worst apps since its release. Sure it's gotten better recently with added features that's on the pc version but it still lacks soooo much. Something as simple as having the "custom" setting on your posts privacy. It's on the pc version but not the app. Whoever is in charge of their app development should be fired.

Zuckerface should be embarrassed. I would.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones