• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Facebook STINKS!

kct1975

Android Expert
Sep 26, 2011
NoVA
First, I want to say that while I love my HTC EVO, and the Android operating system, I really hate the fact the Facebook is 'hard coded' into the operating system. I mean, if people want to use it, fine, they can download it. But, what about the those like me that have Absolutely NO use what-so-ever for it.

I have Never been a member of Facebook (originally because the job I was in would not allow me to be a member), and I have Absolutely intention of joining Facebook, MySpace, Twitter, or any other social networking group. I like my privacy and have no wish to broadcast my life to others, and I resent having Facebook and other social media shoved down my throat.

As I said, I personally hate Facebook and would love to delete it off of my HTC EVO phone if I could, but can't. I do at least try to 'Force Close' it every chance I get, but that brings me to my other problem. I repeatly attempt to shut-down (Force Close) the 'Facebook for HTC Sense', and it does shut-down briefly, but then it reboots my phone and restarts.

I know that there is Absolutely no way to remove Facebook without 'Rooting' my phone, which I have no intention of doing, but I would gladly welcome any tips on how to completly shut-down Facebook without my phone rebooting.

Thanks

Hi

I have never used Facebook for HTC as I didn't want the auto connections it loads on activation; instead I use via the app. So for me it's like this version of FB doesn't exist and the only interaction I have with FB is what I choose.

Have you checked in Menu>Settings>Accounts and Sync to see if FB is listed there? If it is you may be able to delete it there.

Reactions: kct1975
Upvote 0
First 'Goreygirl', I want to say "Thank you for not blasting me for my opinion about Facebook." :D

Honestly, way to many Facebook lovers flame me anytime I post anything negative about Facebook. I have been called stupid (and worse) when I have simply posted that I personally do not use Facebook.

Anyways, second, as I mentioned, I do not have a Facebook account and have never had one, so thankfully for me, I do not have Facebook in my Account Sync menu.

The problem that I am having is that when I am trying to save some battery power and I go into the Manage Applications menu, I force close both the Facebook app and the Facebook for HTC Sense app (both of which came preloaded on my HTC EVO and are 'hard coded' into the OP system) . Force closing the regular Facebook app only shuts down the Facebook app thankfully, but Force Closing the Facebook for HTC Sense app causes my phone to reboot itself and then after the phone reboots, the Facebook for HTC Sense app restarts itself.

Very annoying.

In response to 'chanchan05', I would also like to say "Thank you for not blasting me". As for your question, yes, since I do not have a Facebook account, never had one, and do not want one, it does nothing on my phone. However, being open, it does contribute to the usage of my battery and I would simply like to find a way to completely disable it (since I do not use it at all) to help save my battery from unnecessary use.

Again, any tips would be welcome.

Thanks.:)

Reactions: Deleted User
Upvote 0
Android has its own way of managing memory and system resources. It loads into memory any apps that it thinks you will most likely use. It will load apps into memory when you are not using them so if you do choose to use it, it will load faster next time.

If you force close any applications, Android will think that something went wrong and will try to load it in again. Apps are supposed to behave properly and not just force close. By force closing, you are also making Android think you use these applications because the applications need to restart to get into a stable state. When you force close, you are using resources to force close them, then more resources are used to restart and reload them later.

I would suggest you just ignore the Facebook apps. Since you are not logging in, the apps would not use any processing power. Eventually, Android will learn that you don't use them and will not bother loading them into memory and probably load other apps that you use more often.

Upvote 0
I agree with stuntman. My guess is that an inactive Facebook app, not logged in, uses negligible battery power, especially when compared to the other battery sucks (Cell Standby, Wi-Fi, Android System, etc.). Probably best just to do your best to ignore it.

I feel your pain with the pre-loaded, un-uninstallable apps, like all the VCast apps. I wish they would at least give you the option to hide or suppress them.

Upvote 0
If FB is approved by the carrier, you just might have to dig to turn it off. TMO users were complaining about data use - especially if on a low end data plan. FB would search for new replies and posts in the background. I forget how they were told to turn this off.
I rooted and deleted. One of the main reasons I rooted. Doubletwist did the same.

Upvote 0
Hey there everyone! Sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you guys and gals. It has been crazy busy where I work. Anyway, I just wanted take a moment of time to sincerely Thank everyone for taking the time to take my questions seriously.

It honestly is so refreshing to be able to discuss the fact that I am not a fan of Facebook, and not get ripped for my comments. I also want to say "Thank You" for taking my questions seriously and understanding that there are normal people like me that just do not like nor use Facebook. You all took the time to answer my questions seriously and gave me some great tips, instead of calling me names. Thanks so much! I definitely know where to come when I have questions about the Android phone I have and love.

Upvote 0
First 'Goreygirl', I want to say "Thank you for not blasting me for my opinion about Facebook." :D

Honestly, way to many Facebook lovers flame me anytime I post anything negative about Facebook. I have been called stupid (and worse) when I have simply posted that I personally do not use Facebook.

Anyways, second, as I mentioned, I do not have a Facebook account and have never had one, so thankfully for me, I do not have Facebook in my Account Sync menu.

The problem that I am having is that when I am trying to save some battery power and I go into the Manage Applications menu, I force close both the Facebook app and the Facebook for HTC Sense app (both of which came preloaded on my HTC EVO and are 'hard coded' into the OP system) . Force closing the regular Facebook app only shuts down the Facebook app thankfully, but Force Closing the Facebook for HTC Sense app causes my phone to reboot itself and then after the phone reboots, the Facebook for HTC Sense app restarts itself.

Very annoying.

In response to 'chanchan05', I would also like to say "Thank you for not blasting me". As for your question, yes, since I do not have a Facebook account, never had one, and do not want one, it does nothing on my phone. However, being open, it does contribute to the usage of my battery and I would simply like to find a way to completely disable it (since I do not use it at all) to help save my battery from unnecessary use.

Again, any tips would be welcome.

Thanks.:)

It's not that people love facebook as much as you seem to hate it. That's an easy target.
Who cares?
My phone came with Google Music - I don't use it at all...I should rant about it?

Upvote 0
It's not that people love facebook as much as you seem to hate it. That's an easy target.
Who cares?
My phone came with Google Music - I don't use it at all...I should rant about it?

If you browse the root subforums, you see a lot of people who root specifically to remove the bloatware from their phones. Sometimes because they don't plan on ever using the app, sometimes because the UI/OS keeps that app in memory and maybe it even tries pinging a server. Which causes battery drain. Shouldn't it be an individual's right to determine what is installed on their device and what is not?

I understand that you don't care that certain apps are installed on your phone. And that's your choice. But the OP was denied his choice and that caused him to rant. Which I understand completely. We shouldn't have to root to remove apps we have absolutely no desire to have. If a PC company tried forcing you to have a program you didn't want, there'd be a much bigger uproar about that, even though it's far less detrimental to the PC's performance to have bloat than a smartphone.

Although I think his rant would be a good thing to post in the manufacturer's forum, as well. Or in an email to customer relations. Or all of those.

Upvote 0
Just a word of caution, kct1975. If you root and remove some system apps or apps integrated from your provider, please make sure you use a utility like Titanium to perform a FULL phone backup. Many times the integrated or seemingly unnecessary system apps provide some ancillary function for other parts of the Android system which will be broken by their removal. Those apps are usually not re-installable by simply using the .apk file either. Many times, the only way to get full functionality restored to your phone is to flash a stock rom, which will put you back to square one.

Good luck.

Reactions: kct1975 and jerofld
Upvote 0
Ahh, yes, the Facebook defender final arrive. Oh well, Thank You to xrophti for defending me. You understand and expressed my thoughts exactly.

I would also like to take time to Thank kycats for your tip and for taking my concern seriously.

Lastly I would also like to Thank lunatic59. The reason you mentioned, is the reason that I have not 'rooted' my phone. A few friends have 'rooted' their HTC Sprint phones, and have ruined there OP system, and had to wind-up reinstalling their OP system. I have also been told that, like what lunatic59 said, that on a HTC phone removing the HTC Sense Facebook will make the phone unstable.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones