• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Failed VZW update.

darkcyber

Android Expert
Nov 12, 2009
North Alabama
My sister has a stock non-rooted Note 3 and she did the latest update and it screwed up her phone. When you turn it on it shows the following:

SECURE FAIL: RECOVERY

System software not authorized by Verizon Wireless has been found on your phone. Please turn off you phone and go to the nearest Verizon Wireless store for help.

She carried it to the Verizon store and the guy told her the update her phone downloaded must have been corrupt and they couldn't do anything about it. She could take it to an aftermarket store and they might could fix it.

Now, to my question. Can I not just download the stock firmware and flash it via Odin?

Yeah, I agree about going back to the store. I was going to try and flash the stock firmware anyway...helps me learn more. I've had my Note 3 rooted and running custom rom's since it came out. So, thought I would tinker with it...can't hurt. I tried flashing a good MD5 checked out 4.4.2 and everytime I try it fails.

UPDATE: Even though the md5 checked out on that stock firmware it must have been bad. I downloaded another one for another source and this one is flashing.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones