• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

favorite cooking gadgets

lol i almost forgot about this thread. @Davdi, you might want to look into the Ninja Foodi. it is a 7 in 1 cooker. i mainly use it as an oven, and pressure cooker with the occassional air fry of potatoes, crispy chicken and such. it is better then a slow cooker because the pressure cooking speeds the process if you need to. if you want to slow cook you just turn it to bake and set a temp and time and forget about it until it is ready.

https://www.amazon.com/Ninja-Progra...la-815940397903&ref=&adgrpid=79166366074&th=1

Reactions: Davdi
Upvote 0
the only thing i need to learn is how to use the convection oven part. it supposed to cook faster and at a lower temp.
A good starting point I use is to drop 25 degrees of any recipe and watch it because it will still cook a little quicker. The oven will use both the upper and lower burner and a fan to maintain a constant temperature throughout the oven. If you imagine a traditional oven will be hottest at the burner and cooler the farther you move away, which is why you can cook at a lower oven temp. Another tip is to make sure you don't block the airflow so the air can circulate.

Reactions: olbriar and ocnbrze
Upvote 0
I need someone to educate me on the merits of an air fryer. I'm intrigued by the idea but afraid the cleanup will be a nightmare.

I recently purchased a couple of quality knives from Dalstrong. A chef knife and a slicer is what I bought but being a dummy, both knives are bigger that I anticipated. Both are super sharp and great tools but I wish both were shorter. I'll likely buy a smaller chef knife sometime in the future. Ten inch is just not deftly manipulated around meats and is an overkill for doing veggies.

Last edited:
Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
I need someone to educate me on the merits of an air fryer. I'm intrigued by the idea but afraid the cleanup will be a nightmare.

I recently purchased a couple of quality knives from Dalstrong. A chef knife and a slicer is what I bought but being a dummy, both knives are bigger that I anticipated. Both are super sharp and great tools but I wish both were shorter. I'll likely buy a smaller chef knife sometime in the future. Ten inch is just not deftly manipulated around meats and is an overkill for doing veggies.
its kind of similar to a convection oven.......there really is no "frying". just hot air circulating around the food......so you can't use batter in an air fryer. you can use bread crumbs or something like that. on my ninja foodi, i made coconut shrimp by air frying it. just coat the shrimp in flour, dip it in egg, coat the shrimp in a mixture of coconut shavings and panko and air fry it for a few minutes........hardly any oily mess and it comes out really crispy.

Upvote 0
...there really is no "frying". just hot air circulating around the food....
^^^that, but I think the burner to cooking area ratio is greater. So far I've made fries, hash browns, tater tots, and fried mozzerella and they are all better than in the oven. I little spritz of olive oil on the fries and you wouldn't know they weren't deep fried. I also made wings which came out great as well. Lost that smoke flavor but the skin is better, so now I'm going to experiment with smoking them to start then finishing them in the air fryer, but right now my basement project is occupying most of my time.

Reactions: olbriar and ocnbrze
Upvote 0
I mentioned a couple of years ago a spatula that was great to turn frying eggs over. I marveled aloud about the tool sometime last summer while preparing breakfast at the cabin. It was overheard by one of the guests who bought me one quite similar for Xmas. It is billed as a cookie spatula. I found the exact one I was gifted at Amazon for 9 bucks. I hope it works as good as the cabin spatula.
https://www.amazon.com/OXO-1147100-...keywords=cookie+spatula&qid=1641191289&sr=8-2
I'm anxious to give mine a try.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Everyone need an extra large cast iron skillet!

kitchen-pan-jpg.433799

Upvote 0
I have a jar opener ordered that should arrive Monday. Either they are super tightening lids lately or I'm getting weaker. This one looked like it might do the trick. It clamps onto the lid by sliding the gripping area closed across the lid and then a lever clamps it. Being adjustable, clamping, and long, it should grip tight and provide the needed leverage to easily open the most stubborn lids.
images

Reactions: AugieTN and ocnbrze
Upvote 0
I have a jar opener ordered that should arrive Monday. Either they are super tightening lids lately or I'm getting weaker. This one looked like it might do the trick. It clamps onto the lid by sliding the gripping area closed across the lid and then a lever clamps it. Being adjustable, clamping, and long, it should grip tight and provide the needed leverage to easily open the most stubborn lids.
images
Let me know if this works or not. I'm interested in one as well.

Reactions: AugieTN
Upvote 0
@olbriar - is the egg spatula you recently got the same as the one you have and love already? I need one of those!
It is Clem. It was called a cookie spatula. The one I have at the cabin is green and the one I bought is charcoal in color. Beyond that, it's the same spatula and I highly recommend it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones