• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

FDA Recalls, Market Withdrawals, & Safety Alerts

It's likely not a bad idea to monitor one's goods. I'm disciplined to the point that I rarely hedge on a use by date and not so diligent on best by dates. Beyond those warnings, I'm blind to what I ingest. I will say that I have no known food allergies and have never been ill from what I've consumed. I will even admit to eating some surplus WWII canned meats, powdered eggs, and the like back in the late sixties without any problem.

Upvote 0
I've always been careful and taken a real interest in what I buy and eat.

I remember when the 'beef' at the supermarket was more equine than bovine.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_horse_meat_scandal
That brings up an interesting story. When I was going to college I found a hole in the wall Mexican fast food restaurant that had excellent food. So good that it was THE spot in town for most students to eat. Sadly, over Christmas break my freshman year, they were closed by the state department. They were using horse meat in their dishes. It was very good.

Upvote 0
I worked with my local Civil Defense to serve off accumulated detentions issued in high school. :) The director was a great guy and put me on an improved path. We had a stockpile of WWII surplus foods past their projected shelf life and was given all that I wanted.
Some was quite tasty and some not so. Favorites were canned bacon, beef stew, powdered eggs, powdered pancakes, and cream of the forever shelf life were the lemon and cherry sugar candies. I bet the candies are still good today.

Speaking of government commodities, my grandmother worked in a store in Oklahoma that illegally bought commodities from the Native Americans so they could buy cigarettes and the like. The cheese was pretty good but the best commodity she would bring home was the peanut butter. I never had any of the canned goods but I'm guessing they were quality.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones