• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Feature you are most looking for in Android 2.1

I know we are all waiting with bated breath for the next android update in Q1 2010. What feature are you hoping they fix/improve with the update? Personally, I am hoping that they get the proximity screen deal to turn off when I am talking on the phone. I don't even know if this is something that can be fixed by an update but I have hung up on so many people with my cheek that I call it getting "Cheek closed" on someone.

I know we are all waiting with bated breath for the next android update in Q1 2010. What feature are you hoping they fix/improve with the update? Personally, I am hoping that they get the proximity screen deal to turn off when I am talking on the phone. I don't even know if this is something that can be fixed by an update but I have hung up on so many people with my cheek that I call it getting "Cheek closed" on someone.

Welcome, you may want to read a few pages of this forum and specifically look for an app titled Proximity Sensor.

As to your question, I look forward to improved speed and from what I have heard, a 33% increase in battery life from the 2.x upgrade.

As HTC is still coming out with new phones with <600mhz processors, I truely believe that is enough juice to run the OS very smooth, its just the 1.5 build is a little chunky.

Upvote 0
Google navigation
Google Goggles
Bluetooth FileTransfer - I can't believe we don't have this already!

I also read about a new button on the home screen that when pressed brings up a preview of all other home screen pages, similar to Palm's webOS. That's an interesting feature.

Hopefully it will also come with the ability to close some of the opened programs.

Upvote 0
Definitely much better Bluetooth support. I would like to see true hands free control over dialing and call functions. I have been use to this with my Razr V3mm for the last 3 years. As a wish, I would like to see voice control within the app environment implemented via BT as well. Task switching and application termination should be cleaner cut and easier to use. I wouldn't mind being able to program that search button for something else either.

Jack

Upvote 0
1. Less general lag
2. Landscape with rotation to both sides
3. Option to alphabetize contacts by last name
4. Fix no proximity sensor with appropriate call screen (sliders, something)
5. Much improved keyboard accuracy
6. Much improved keyboard lag
7. Keyboard calibration in landscape
8. Voice bt dialing
9. Option to disable double menu unlock
10. Option to wake directly to pattern unlock
11. Ability to pull down status bar on lockscreen
12. Native app management
13. Open bt transfers
14. Improved market
15. Fixed weather widget
16. Quickscrolling for long lists, documents, web pages, etc.
17. Improved battery management
18. Webpage caching to sd
19. Native apps to sd
20. Improved WiFi range... I wish, but really, wtf?

Upvote 0
Instant conference option for connecting two seperate callers
Fix 3-Way calling* (being able to disconnect certain callers specifically)
Google Navigation
Google Goggles
Bluetooth file transfer
In-call proximity sensor
Improved keyboard lag
Improved HTC IM application (Full Buddy Lists, Less Crashing, More Settings)
Improved battery life

*serious issue

Upvote 0
I have installed and run an Android 2.1 ROM on my Sprint Hero and from what I experienced, it's going to be awesome. The speed is perfect, the transistions between menus are quick. I made several test calls and the phone rang as it should with the exception of one.

Now this is a GSM version chopped up and hacked to work (for the most part) on our phones so there were some setbacks and some things just didnt work at all. Though the ROM is very close to be usable everyday. Android 2.1 is going to be awesome.

Upvote 0

Isn't it 'baited' breath?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones