• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root FINALLY A WORKING JELLY BEAN ROM!! Public release! Update from ICS!

Do you want more dev for this phone or is it time to let it go?

• Total voters
The scripts do not complete successfully -- see the attached log. The journaldisable script does not even begin, because busybox does not support the sh applet (as I indicated above). I gather that tune2fs -l /dev/block/mmcblk0p18 will reveal system partition attributes. I could not unmount /system or /data from adb, because the only way to use adb with the Force is to have the OS booted when it is connected (do correct me if I am wrong). When I tried to umount or e2fsck, adb reported the system and data partitions busy -- I did manage to manually de-journal the cache partition with adb.

Are you using the sawbones rom or my freedompop rom?

Sawbones rom is missing hundreds of xbin symlinks. One of them is the sh symlink. In system/bin though there is a symlink for sh which is linked to mksh .

I am also using the 6.0.4.4 recovery as adb sideload works on it.

I did check the logs and it isn't actually working.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks for your script. The notion that removing the journal reduces file-system's overhead had ineluctable appeal, but it seems to be wrong too -- while Antutu may be far from the best benchmark for testing it, Antutu's subindices which might reflect on the performance (I suppose Multitask, Storage I/O, and Database I/O) of the file-system did not improve after removing journals from all three partitions (I manually removed the journal from cache and ran your script). If there are performance benefits associated with removing journals, I suppose that they would only be apparent while doing significant amounts of writing, but it's disappointing that the net effect of removing them is to slightly lower Antutu scores and to markedly lengthen the time to boot -- there must be some overhead associated with using ext4 without journaling for reading. Performance benefits of f2fs over ext4 also were not apparent in Antutu when I switched from ext4-based CM12 to f2fs-formatted-/data Omnirom on my Kindle Fire HD. I have reverted the Force to journaling. At 1.67GHz (1237.5mV), I reliably score around 22,000 Antutu, and no amount of tweaking and further overclocking on mine gets 23,000 (reliably). The new ROMs themselves score about double the original, and the device has come a long way.

I need to look at your script in detail so I have a better understanding of the running of them. I thought that a ramdisk was involved -- is that TWRP as opposed to CWM? Mounting /tmp on /cache makes sense as long as there is a /cache partition. Do you know any parts of /system which can be relocated to /cache by means of symlink(s) (which won't break the OS)? I'd really like to do this with my Kindle, which has 699MB of cache barely utilized, but shifting 100MB or so from /system to /cache on the Force would free up valuable space.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-04-06-09-58-58[1].png
    Screenshot_2015-04-06-09-58-58[1].png
    37.1 KB · Views: 170
Last edited:
Upvote 0
adb isn't working with the cwm that freedompop provided :-\ I haven't tried any others yet though.
The operative word being "should". I am intrigued by allusions to other recoveries -- besides CWM 6.0.3.0 and the unofficial CWM 6.0.4.4, are there any? A file manager and a terminal would be nice, and adb access would be too. I tried FTM, bootloader, and CWM 6.0.3.0 recovery and had no adb access in any.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Are you using the sawbones rom or my freedompop rom?

Sawbones rom is missing hundreds of xbin symlinks. One of them is the sh symlink. In system/bin though there is a symlink for sh which is linked to mksh .

I am also using the 6.0.4.4 recovery as adb sideload works on it.

I did check the logs and it isn't actually working.
I'm using your ROM -- I think -- it displays "FreedomPop". In my /system/xbin there is a 20B sh -- I suppose the symlink. In /system/bin, there is a 149.75KB sh -- isn't that the binary itself? I tried Clockworkmod 6.0.4.4, but something made me revert -- perhaps I'll try it again.

Upvote 0
I have a ate with budzee rom and it works great but I have a question where is the hotspot setting I can't find the option to turn it on. I can only get usb to tether via pdanet are the hidden options it build. I have tried saw ones rom as well same
You should see "Portable hotspot" under "WIRELESS & NETWORKS" in Settings, but it doesn't work -- Freedompop wants to get paid to let you tether. Any number of third-party tethering apps get around this; I have "WiFi Tether TrevE Mod" (with settings Device-profile = Generic ICS/JB (wlan0), Setup-Method=Netd-Ndc (master) ), and it works -- see https://code.google.com/p/wifi-teth...etail?name=wifi_tether_v3_3-pre2.apk&can=2&q=

Upvote 0
Buzbee, I just had to reinstall the ROM because of that defective CWM 6.0.4.4. While adb connects, I could not access the file system properly using it. I could not restore from backups because it miscalculates md5 checksums. That is not an official release -- the bug I noted was recognized when it was released and never fixed!

Upvote 0
Buzbee, I just had to reinstall the ROM because of that defective CWM 6.0.4.4. While adb connects, I could not access the file system properly using it. I could not restore from backups because it miscalculates md5 checksums. That is not an official release -- the bug I noted was recognized when it was released and never fixed!

Sorry it didn't work out for you. It is fully functional. The thread states

"to make it official though, we need to figure out how to fix the kernels issue with mounting the sd the 4.2+ way. so untill a fix for whatever it is zte likes to mess up concerning the vold mounting procedure is made that allows cm 10.1 and higher youll just have to live with the fully functional unofficial non touch or make twrp or something"

it does calculate md5 checksums correctly. I have restored with it several times. It mentions md5 checksum error when referring to the original (which I assume is 6.0.3.0):

"From what i was led to believe it doesnt have adb. And it was erroring apon trying to factory reset for starters. Also it threw an md5 error when trying to restore a backup so it seems to have bugs"

I think you may have messed up your file system from trying to disable journaling.

There is no Official CWM for the Force. I think all 3 CWM recoveries available were based off the ZTE Avid or similar.

Upvote 0
Sorry it didn't work out for you. It is fully functional. The thread states

"to make it official though, we need to figure out how to fix the kernels issue with mounting the sd the 4.2+ way. so untill a fix for whatever it is zte likes to mess up concerning the vold mounting procedure is made that allows cm 10.1 and higher youll just have to live with the fully functional unofficial non touch or make twrp or something"

it does calculate md5 checksums correctly. I have restored with it several times. It mentions md5 checksum error when referring to the original (which I assume is 6.0.3.0):

"From what i was led to believe it doesnt have adb. And it was erroring apon trying to factory reset for starters. Also it threw an md5 error when trying to restore a backup so it seems to have bugs"

I think you may have messed up your file system from trying to disable journaling.

There is no Official CWM for the Force. I think all 3 CWM recoveries available were based off the ZTE Avid or similar.
I had restored over the de-journaled system and it was working fine -- I tried an experiment with symlinks I knew might render it unbootable but then could not restore backups made with 6.0.3.0 from 6.0.4.4.

I've restored the system, but I'm having a new problem: after some indeterminate time asleep, the phone turns off; this has happened with the phone sitting undisturbed (though I shimmed the bottom of the battery with masking tape in case it was losing electrical contact). I've noticed no other problem while it's running. Has anyone else had this problem or have a solution?

Upvote 0
The compass works for me. Try a reboot first, and failing that try the last kernel I posted in this thread.

Would you post the link again? You have posted a lot of stuff and I'm not sure which file to try. EDIT: Was it force_volt?

about the compass... I installed phone tester, and GPS status. Phone tester cannot get any sensor data from the magnetic sensor... it just sits there saying "waiting for data". Even if I drag a magnet over the phone. In GPS status, I tried the compass calibration and it didn't work.

Upvote 0
Hello folks, yet another newbie here that read many post from this thread and I feel more confused at the moment and reaching out for some assistance. I have the FreedomPop Force zte_n9100 that had the 4.0.4 (I believe) and have now updated to JB Sawbones 4.1.2. That said, I find myself with this cool and fast operating system but my phone won't complete a call (the number you dialed is incorrect message 7 switch 390) and not able to send a text (your not allowed to send text messages Msg 2120) and also it is no longer rooted, and now I have forgot how I rooted it to begin with. Like I said I'm a bit overwhelmed and confused and in need of some help please. Some simple step by step instructions would be appreciated. Thanks for all you folks do here. I hope I am in the correct place to be posting this, also a newbie at this forum stuff. Again Thank You.

Upvote 0
Hello folks, yet another newbie here that read many post from this thread and I feel more confused at the moment and reaching out for some assistance. I have the FreedomPop Force zte_n9100 that had the 4.0.4 (I believe) and have now updated to JB Sawbones 4.1.2. That said, I find myself with this cool and fast operating system but my phone won't complete a call (the number you dialed is incorrect message 7 switch 390) and not able to send a text (your not allowed to send text messages Msg 2120) and also it is no longer rooted, and now I have forgot how I rooted it to begin with. Like I said I'm a bit overwhelmed and confused and in need of some help please. Some simple step by step instructions would be appreciated. Thanks for all you folks do here. I hope I am in the correct place to be posting this, also a newbie at this forum stuff. Again Thank You.
It's probably easiest to just flash buzbee's ROM on top of what you have now. Shouldn't need to wipe anything but system, and should fix all your issues.

Reactions: Robert Chase
Upvote 0
I'm wondering if there's some problem with the reporting from the battery monitor app.
I was seeing large % battery usage from the items you mentioned as well. The results were from at least 15 charge cycles.
I decided to clear history and start over to get clean analysis.
The current run I'm no longer seeing the large % drain anymore.
I can see that cell standby is the largest drain on battery which completely makes sense.

I would suggest clearing history at the beginning of every cycle to get a clean look.

It might really just be a reporting error from the app as it accumulate data from cycle to cycle.

I noticed the high battery usage form the proximity and light sensor when I enabled the Freedompop messenger.
It seems that the FreedomPop messenger is not properly turning off the sensors.
I use the app quarantine program to disable the freedompop messenger and I don't see the high battery drain anymore.
I normally us Google Hangouts Dialer for receiving/making calls instead of FreedomPop messenger. So disabling it is not an issue for me, but I understand some people may not want this option.
Seems like only FreedomPop can fix this issue, as the problem is with their app.

Reactions: spock1104
Upvote 0
Thanks for suggesting your ROM, Buzzbee. I finally got a chance to switch to the FreedomPop ROM and didn't use the FP undo. Whatsapp is still taking laterally inverted pictures. I also found out that this problem only happens in portrait mode. I think you fixed it in another messenger, but the fix doesn't apply to Whatsapp. Do you have other suggestions?

I think I fixed this with the FreedomPop rom. Download it from post #100 (p4) and then you can apply the FP undo for your specific carrier (Sprint, Boost, or Virgin) (post 168 (p7). You should then have a fully bloated version of Sawbones rom. Let me know if it works and whether "sprint zone"," boost zone" or "my account" shows up for you. There may be issues with that app working on custom roms.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones